Sunday, October 19, 2008

Thoughts for a Sunday

Recently, the leaders of my church held a conference just for the women of the church.  It was broadcast to people all over the world, and will come out in print in November.  I missed the broadcast, but I printed the talks and have read them over the last week or so.  Their words are so powerful.  The people that spoke, seemed to speak right to me.  Saying just what I (and many others) needed to hear. 

Some examples:  President Dieter F. Uchtdorf spoke on how as women our heritage is of happinessAll women are loved by God.  He talked of how as we go through life there are many critics - sometimes (often?) ourselves - and how we need to ignore these critics.  I loved how he encouraged us to create when we are weary.  He said:

"Sometimes it can be difficult to keep our heads above water.  ...Change, challenges and checklists, sometimes it can seem nearly impossible to avoid feeling overwhelmed by emotions of suffering and sorrow.  ....I recognize that in all of our lives there are real concerns.  I know there are hearts that harbor deep sorrows.  Others wrestle with fears...  For some, loneliness is their secret trial.  These things are not insignificant."

Elder Uchtdorf encourages us to create and be compassionate.  I love this. I made my oldest son's Halloween costume (because the store bought version of a Jedi was $40) and it was a boon to my self-esteem to create something for him to wear.  I also liked how he reminded us that creating doesn't mean that you have to be artsy.  He said that "if you are a mother, you participate with God in His work of creation - not only providing physical bodies for your children, but also teaching and nurturing them."

As for compassion, he tells us that "service and sacrifice open the windows of heaven, allowing choice blessings to descend upon us."  Who doesn't want that?  My favorite part of his talk is probably when he said, "In the end the number of prayers we say may contribute to our happiness, but the number of prayers we answer may be of even greater importance."

Are you an answer to the prayers of those around us?  I'm not sure that I am.  I hope to be more aware over the next while so that I can be.  I hope to "immerse [myself] in the work of our Father - as [I] create beauty and as [I am] compassionate to others - God will encircle [me] in the arms of His love.  Discouragement, inadequacy and weariness will give way to a life full of meaning, grace and fulfillment."

***

Sister Julie Beck spoke about the Relief Society organization.  I feel blessed to be a part of such a wonderful organization.  I felt welcome from the moment I turned 18, and was able to attend with my mother.   My favorite about this talk was when she talked about the work we do in our homes, and specifically strengthening our homes.  The reminder that "Our homes are to be their refuge from the daily encounters they have with evil" was good for me to hear.  I wonder, am I doing enough?  Is my home a refuge for them (and their friends?)  I know that there are areas for me to improve on this.

***

My favorite talk was given by Sister Barbara Thompson.  Ever since she was put in, I have felt some sort of connection with her.  I love this quote: "Now, more than ever we need women to step and be strong.  We need women who declare the truth with strength, faith and boldness.  We need women to set an example of righteousness.  We need women to be anxiously engaged in a good cause.  We need to live so that our lives bear witness that we love our Heavenly Father and the Savior Jesus Christ and that we will do what They have asked us to do.  We need to 'rescue all that is finest deep down inside us' so that as daughters of God we can do our part to build the kingdom of God."

One of the last things that she said was "we can do something extraordinary today."  I've been thinking of that.  I'm not sure that I do anything extraordinary any day, but maybe I can work on that.  As I make my house a refuge, extraordinary things can happen. 

This simple line made me think of something that I particularly noticed when I read October's Visiting Teaching message.  Elder M. Russell Ballard said, "My dear sisters, we believe in you."  Now that was something, I really needed to hear.

7 comments:

Janelle said...

I loved that conference. I do feel needed and believed in. I think that as many times the leaders thank us for our prayers we can thank them for their prayers in our behalf as well.

TaLaisa's holding scripturs sisters again on Julie's blog. We're doing similar things to this post. Check it out.

Mindy said...

This was such a much needed message here in my world today. Thanks so much for sharing it!

Simpson Family said...

Amanda,
I had to give the Presidency Message in Relief Society 2 weeks ago, and I used the Women's Conference addresses. They were wonderful! I focused on Pres. Uchtedorf and Sister Thompson's talk. They were my favorites, same as you. My most favorite quote was the one from Pres. Uchtedorf about being an instrument in the Lord's hands by being the answer to others prayers.
We think alike my friend! It is possibly what we both needed to hear. Much love and miss you my friend!

Anonymous said...

such great things to contemplate. I often wonder why so many say they get nothing out of RS. I know I need that inspiration in my live...I should read it daily. Thanks for the uplift!

Hesses Madhouse said...

I too loved Elder Uchtdorf's message. Thanks for sharing your experiences with it. I have thought a lot about the "creator" in me and tried to use that side of my personality a bit more. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I found your site from the Pursuit of Excellence Challenge. You look so familiar, but then I read that you live in the great Northwest. I do too. I wonder if we've run into each other somewhere along the way. I live in Beaverton, Oregon.

Hesses Madhouse said...

Okay, hold on. I just looked at another of your posts and saw a comment from Darilyn. We must be in the same stake.

Stephanie said...

great thoughts and good reminders. Thank you!