So, I tend to be day behind when it comes to reading the paper. On Monday, I read Sunday's paper (except the ads - I read those before I even get to Saturdays paper), and on Tuesday, I read Monday's and so on and so forth. This afternoon when I sat down to lunch I started to read the paper from yesterday.
The front page story was about how much money has been used in the local state senator race. Granted all of this money has not come from just their campaign but all the committees to elect, the committees for the fair blah, blah, blah and etc., but I think it is obscene.
For this one race the total is almost $27,000,000. Yes, TWENTY-SEVEN MILLION dollars. And that is just for the tv ads. Not the flyers and callers and everything else. And this is just one race out of 50 states.
Now, I realize that people that are running for office have to get their names out there, and they have to campaign and blah, blah, blah. But I can't help think:
What better things could have been done with $27 million? How many school supplies could have been bought? How many people could get health care? How many meals could we provide shelters? Etc, etc, etc.
That is all. Now, have a happy weekend.
6 comments:
I agree. However, many people are saying the same things about the LDS church's donations to pass Prop 8 in CA; they are wondering why they would spend so much money on politics instead of something worthwhile like world hunger.
Just fyi (personally, I see a difference between passing an amendment that will protect children/marriage and Joe-Schmoe wanting to get re-elected, but other people don't see it that way).
I really think that we need to do something about the amount of money spent on political races. I think it is insane to spend 27 million on a state senate seat...but I think it just as ridiculous to spend that much on the presidential election. My biggest problem is that the money doesn't even help voters make a more informed choice! I just think it's crazy! I do see the difference in trying to get the word out on issues (such as prop 8 in CA as referenced by Cheryl) and spending money to do it. With all the money involved it's easy to see why there is such a problem with corrupt politicians!
From what I have read, Cheryl, the LDS church has contributed financilly to the prop 8 campaign, and that the funds are coming from the members of the LDS church. I may be wrong, but that is what I read online last night.
And, Leslie, you are exactly right! All the state senate ads here have been mud-slinging instead of anything informative.
I heard about that too. And I agree, it makes me sick to think of all that money getting spent on dumb ads when I spent three hours counting cookie dough orders for my kids elementary school so our PTO could send each grade on a field trip. Something just isn't right.
I agree. It's ridiculous.
I agree, it's shameful. I touched on this briefly in a recent post. I've received three super slick expensive flyers for one of the Presidental candidates that must have cost a fortune to produce. It annoys me that they spend sooo much money to tell my why I should not vote for the other guy.
Post a Comment