Saturday, October 18, 2008

Come Bake Bread with Me...

DSCN0722

First, gather ingredients.  You'll need water, sugar or honey, dough enhancer, yeast, wheat, wheat gluten, salt and oil.

DSCN0593 DSCN0723

The first thing to do is get your wheat to flour.  I use a Kitchen Mill, and for this recipe I need 6 1/2 cups of flour so I grind a little more than 3 cups of wheat.

Next, in your mixer bowl add 2 1/2 cups warm water, 1/4-1/3 cup honey or 1/3-1/2 cup honey, 1 1/2 TBSP yeast and 2 1/2 cups flour.  Start your mixer on a bread program.  I use a Kitchen Champ which is designed for mixing bread so it has  a bread program.  Add 1 1/2 TBSP dough enhancer, 1/4 cup oil, 1/4 cup wheat gluten, 3/4 tsp salt, and remaining 4 cups of flour.

DSCN0724

The dough should be cleaning from the sides of the bowl, and hit the auto-knead feature or run on high (speed 6) for 3-4 minutes.  This gives the gluten time to form. Or whatever it is that gluten does.

Form loaves.  My mother does this with flour on the counter, but I spray my hands with Pam and grab half of it and slop it into the pan.  It isn't pretty but by the time it is baked, you can't tell.

DSCN0725

Let bread rise for 30 minutes.  Looks better all ready.  See?

DSCN0726

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  This recipe makes 2 large loaves. 

DSCN0727

Remove from oven, and let rest for a few minutes.  Slice.  Slather with butter and enjoy.

DSCN0729

Notes: The wheat gluten and the dough enhancer are optional.  They are supposed to make the bread lighter and fluffier.  I have made the bread with honey before and with sugar before.  I like it better with sugar. It seems a less sweet.  I can't imagine putting mayo and lunch meat on it when I make it with honey, but I could do that easily with sugar in the dough.  The original recipe that I had did NOT call for oil.  I made it like that for the first couple of months but it was crumbly so I started adding just a little oil and it has made a big difference.  Good luck!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the lesson! I've never used dough enhancer - I thought it was gluten OR enhancer. I need to make bread tonight, and I'm going to do it with both. Your pictures made my mouth water.

Darilyn said...

I have heard of gluten but not dough enhancer. I'm not much of a baker but have been wanting to learn how to make bread from my wheat for awhile now. This was so informative, Thank you!!!!

Christie said...

Yum. Yum. And more yum.

Please move next door to me and bring me some?

Mindy said...

I have never tried dough enhancer but I am going to now, Yours is the third or fourth post I've read that recommends it.

Jeanette said...

I've never used gluten or an enhancer before. I'll have to try them.
Great tutorial.

Janelle said...

I want that kitchen mill!