Janelle has started doing a monthly writing assignment, which is kind of fun. Gives me something to think about all month, and then maybe get a few words down. This month's theme is "trick or treat." She encourages us to take the theme and go anywhere with it. So here goes:
Growing up, every year around Halloween my mom would buy these little paper bags with a Halloween design on them. She would let us help her stuff them. I don't remember for sure what we used but I seem to remember a couple of little candy bars and maybe a sucker. We would staple the bag closed, and set them all in a big bowl by the front door. I used to wish that we were allowed to trick-or-treat at our own house, so that I could get a treat bag. When we were done trick-or-treating, we would be so excited if we got to be the one to pass out a bag or two of candy to other kids that came to the door.
The carpet in the playroom of the house we grew up in was awesome. It had game boards printed on it. We could play checkers, and hopscotch, chinese checkers, and Backgammon (if I remember correctly). When we were done trick-or-treating the three of us (there were five in the family but once I can remember my two older sisters didn't trick-or-treat anymore) would dump our candy out and my dad would check it to be sure it was all "safe." We would sort our candy. A pile of suckers here, and pile of milky-ways here, and boxes of milk duds over there. We would count and compare to see who got the most, and who got the best stuff. There was always the pile of rejects too, you know the Almond Joys and the other stuff with nuts and or coconut in it. Those things are still in my reject pile {and Darilyn gets them now :) }. Except Paydays. I love those. Anyhoo, then the serious business of trading would commence. We would lay there for as long as our parents would let us and trade for the candy that we wanted. My mom's theory was to let us eat as much as we wanted because that way it wouldn't last forever. I don't remember ever getting sick from eating too much, but I do remember wishing that I hadn't eaten all of mine so fast.
There was a house across the street from us that the family was never home on Halloween night. The daughter was my best friend, but I haven't a clue where they went. They always put out a basket of apples. And a sign that said: "Take only ONE." As if any kid would take more than one apple. On Halloween. Well, my daughter might. But most kids wouldn't. I remember not even taking one. It may have tainted my candy. And, when we did take them, I don't remember my parents allowing us to eat them. There was that rumor about the kid that found a razor blade in his Halloween apple.
Our costumes were always homemade. We never had a store bought costume. And the best part about that was, that we never ran into someone that looked just like us. Even if they were also dressed as a clown or a rabbit or a vampire, they still looked different. There wasn't sixteen Darth Vaders and eight Tiggers at any party I ever went to. I remember dressing up as a hobo and having my dad paint a black beard on my face. I remember my brother dressing up as "night" and wearing all black. And I can still see the picture of my dressed as a hobo standing next to "night." You can see me and his hands. It's kind of freaky.
Pumpkin carving night was one of my favorite nights. When I was younger, Halloween was my favorite holiday and pumpkin carving (and all the candy) was why. I loved cleaning out pumpkins. Still do. I love the squishy, gooey innards of a pumpkin. Which is good because my husband doesn't, and neither does my oldest child. I think my daughter does, and I don't think my youngest has tried it yet. Back to my youth, it was an event to carve the pumpkins. Especially the year that we tried to grow big ones in the garden. We would spread the table with a vinyl tablecloth and then cover it with newspaper. My mom would take the seeds and try to roast them (I don't remember this ever turning out very well, however.) My dad would try to help us come up with neat ideas to make faces with. He always had to cut the top of my pumpkin. I remember making holes in the back for proper circulation. I remember being thrilled when we finally got to light the candles in the pumpkins. It was so exciting.
My mom always decorated too. She would put up fake spider webs, and scarecrows. There was always witches, ghosts and as I got older, pumpkin lights. In the house there was lots of decorations too. And at Halloween time there was always a bowl of candy corn sitting out. Pumpkin chocolate chip cookies were made a couple of times during the season.
What are some of the things you remember the most about Halloween as a child?
9 comments:
Thanks for posting I had so many similar experiences!
Cute. I love the photo it's fun.
I remember the special houses too that handed out the good stuff. Someday we'll be one of those houses--we won't be the lame dentist who hands out the dental floss or something!! :)
When I was a Kindergartner and 1st grader we would go to a Halloween party at our school. And after we moved away I would beg my mom to still take me to that. I think she did once or twice. But, like you, I remember always having a homemade costume. There were years that my mom would sew for hours. My most memorable costumes would be raggedy Ann and a pioneer girl. both with complete homemade costumes.
I remember dressing up as a hobo and more often a gypsy. We were only allowed to go to the houses of people we knew. And the sorting of the candy was always the best part!
This was so fun to read and it brought back so many fun Halloween memories. I remember my older brothers always having really elaborate costumes that t hey made themselves.
What a cute little hobo you were!
First of all, I love the old photo! And we did some of those same things too. My grandma would roast the pumpkin seeds, but I didn't like them back then.
We had a few costumes that the four of us kids would just rotate from year to year wearing.
You don't like Almond Joys??? Crazy.
This brought back old Halloween memories.
One year my mother helped my teenage brother and his friends make a big elephant costume that they all got in and instead of trick or treating they walked around the neighborhood with a bag a peanuts that they handed out. It was pretty fun.
Post a Comment