Monday, November 24, 2008

Week of Thanks Day 4

Today I am grateful for books. I know some people that read to learn, and I may someday get to a place where that is me, but for now, I read to escape. I read to take me away. I read purely for pleasure (with the occasional deep thinker-type book in there.)

Some books that I have read lately and really enjoyed are:

A Paper Bag Christmas - by Kevin Alan Milne - A pure delight. A very quick (1-2 hours) read about service at Christmas time. A tear jerker, too.

The Secret Life of Bees - by Sue Monk Kid - Very fun. Narrated by a 14 year old girl who goes in search of her mother. I hope to someday be as wise as August. Some mild swearing, so don't read it if you don't like that. I can't wait to see the movie, I think Queen Latifah will be perfect for her part.

Master - by Toni Sorenson - This book was good too (really, I don't read many books that I don't enjoy!) and more of a thinker than some. It is told from the perspective of a boy abandoned in the desert and taken into Mary & Joseph's home as a servant. It follows his life as he follows Jesus. I can't imagine the amount of research that went into this book, and I quite enjoyed it. Having finished right before the Christmas season was nice too as Jesus is the reason for the season.

Summer of Light - by W. Dale Cramer - A delightful, easy read about a dad who loses his job and he and his wife decide that he will stay home with the three kids for the summer. Along the way he picks up photography as a hobby. Very inspiring for me as a photographer. This is a Christian book.

A Christmas Pearl - by Dorothea Benton Frank - Another easy, quick Christmas read. I truly loved it. It was about the importance that Christmas traditions play in our lives, and I vow this year to do some things that I haven't done in the last few years. I recommend everyone read this one before Christmas comes.

That's just a sampling of some of the books that I am grateful for right now.

How do books play a role in your life? Any really good books you have read lately that I should add to my to-read list?

5 comments:

Mindy said...

I really need to get back to reading for pleasure. I read so many books for a reason, spiritual, motherly, etc. I need a good fiction piece.

Don't forget, tomorrow is the 2nd Edition of Toy Chest Tuesday. I hope you can come by and join in!

Ginna said...

I love books, they are the best thing ever. Yay for books!

Darilyn said...

I am thankful for YOU. Do you know how excited I was to get a package today from you? Super Hyper Excited. I didn't even know what it was. But then when I saw it I started screaming. Everyone in the house came running to see the spectacle. It was fantabulous. Thank you my friend, you are awesome!

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

Wasn't the Paper Bag Christmas terrific? I loved it.

Mindy said...

Sorry to double comment on the same post. Please stop by Shore's End when you have time, for an important announcement! : )