Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Best Books of 2010

In 2010, I read 55 books. 

Here are the books that I gave 5 stars on Goodreads:

A Sweetness to the Soul by Jane Kirkpatrick – This was a book group pick and it’s not one that I would have picked but I ended up really enjoying it.  It was about a couple that settled the area that we live in.

The Help by Kathryn Stockett – If you haven’t heard of this book, you live under a rock.  I think most people either love it or hate it.  I was fascinated.  I’m not sure how I feel about them making it into a movie though.

The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams – This is a young adult book about polygamy.  It is about a girl who is trying to escape that life.

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford – I’m not sure I remember this book except that it was bitter and sweet.  If I remember correctly, it’s about a man of Japanese descent who lost the woman he loved.

The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks – The book was about 100x better than the movie and the movie was written first, which I think is interesting.  My favorite Nicholas Sparks books are the ones about young people (A Walk to Remember being one of my other favorite books.)

Band of Sisters by Annette Lyon – This book is about five women who have to deal with deployment and the military.  I really enjoyed it.

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead – This is another YA book, and it’s kind of fantasy or science fiction type book that kept me thinking.

Positively by Courtney Scheinmel – This is one I saw at the library and picked up.  It’s about a young girl that has to deal with being HIV positive. It was a heart wrenching book.

and we’ll end with my favorite book of 2010: The Book of Awesome: Snow Days, Bakery Air, Finding Money in Your Pocket, and Other Simple, Brilliant Things by Neil Pasricha – I think this book started as a blog where Neil talked about the little things in life that are awesome and it made it’s way to being a book.  I would love to own a copy of this book to keep out all year long.  I smiled the whole way through the book.  Have you read it?  If not, put it on hold at the library and get your hands on it asap.

What were your favorite books of the year?

1 comment:

Julie P said...

I should go back and look at my good reads. I usually read about the same number of books as you do, but this year might've read HALF! Also (a little secret here) I didn't put a couple books on Good Reads because I couldn't figure out how to make them private and I was totally embarrassed to be seen with them!!
Ok, my big star books: Her Fearful Symmetry & Soft Spoken Parenting. I don't give many books 5 stars, I guess!