Saturday, November 28, 2009

Post Thanksgiving Thoughts

I was feeling really sorry for myself Wednesday night about not being home for Thanksgiving.  I realized though that I needed to change my attitude. So,  I took my notebook to bed and wrote a list of all the things I am thankful for and changed my attitude.  

Thursday morning we slept in and after a shower, I was ready to get started on the meal.  I had made a list of things that the kids could help with.  I pulled out two aprons, and my kids found an apron that belongs with the play dishes.  We got busy.

DSCN9669 DSCN9670 DSCN9672

Together we made banana cream pie, a veggie tray, deviled eggs, whipped cream, fruit salad and rolls.  Bryan grilled the turkey breast.  I microwaved the potatoes and made the instant stuffing.  I set the table with our everyday dishes (wishing we had China) and a fancy tablecloth.  My oldest made place cards for us. Also a candle for ambiance.  I put on a skirt, took off the apron and we sat down to eat.  We said grace.  We talked about the things we are grateful for.  We tried to get kids to eat.  We tried to get kids to stay in their chairs.  We tried a little bit of everything.  We didn’t over eat. 

DSCN9676 DSCN9681

After dinner, we watched The Polar Express and did a puzzle.  Later on we had pie.  We played a couple of rounds of Book of Mormon Go Fish.  We watched the Jazz beat up on the Bulls. 

It was a good day.  There was a time during dinner when I felt so homesick, I thought I would cry.  I realize though that it’s okay that I miss home.  I always will when we’re not there.  There is something very special about being home with my family or my in-laws.  The smells, the foods, the traditions.  Our dinner was different – there was no sweet potatoes, no green salad like at my mother-in-laws, no cranberries like at my mom’s.  And that’s okay. My kids had fun.  We were able to give thanks for our blessings.

And that is what it is all about.

7 comments:

Rebecca Irvine said...

What a great idea to get the kids involved. They looked like they loved it!

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

I love the pictures, especially the one of you and your girlie in those matching aprons! I'm totally with ya on being homesick during Thanksgiving...it was a rough and beautiful day. :)

Jocelyn said...

I really loved this post.

It's so true that it's okay to be homesick. I think that's one of the things that makes Thanksgiving Thanksgiving (the being with family part). You made it so special, though, it seems. Your kids look really happy! The other thing I think that makes Thanksgiving so special is traditions and that you absolutely did.

Beautiful, really.

Cami said...

I try to remind myself that what matters is that the kids are making some great memories of their own. They won't be the same as mine growing up, they'll be their own. I was super homesick this year just for a turkey. Sis-in-law made ham
:o( (seriously, who makes ham for thanksgiving!?! It's all about turkey)

FluffyChicky said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! The pictures are adorable! I too really love the one of you and your daughter. Cute!!

Anonymous said...

I loved the post and the pictures. What great memories you are making! And it was a nice surprise when I left Google Reader and went to your blog--love the festive banner. Great spirit here!

Darilyn said...

It looks like your Thanksgiving was a success. Your table looks great.