A few years ago, Bryan’s extended family did a Christmas exchange. Bryan’s aunt had my name. She said that she thought about what the mother of three young children needs, and decided that they need something to entertain the kids. So, she gave me the ingredients for homemade play dough. And the recipe. And I have made the recipe about 100x since then, thus making it an excellent choice for a Christmas gift.
My kids love to play with the play dough. When they play, they don’t fight. They use their imaginations. They pretend to work at Subway. They make snowmen. They make snakes. They cut out cookies. Most importantly, they play and I get some peace and quiet.
Here is the recipe. The great thing about it is that it lasts forever, and it smells good.
KOOL AID PLAY DOUGH
Ingredients:
- 2 packages Kool-aid
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1 TBSP cream of tartar
- 2 cups boiling water
- 3+ TBSP vegetable oil
Directions: Mix dry ingredients. Add boiling water and stir well. Pour oil on to a flat surface and dump play dough onto it. Knead until smooth. (Let the dough cool some, so it doesn’t burn your hands.) Store in an air-tight container.
I hope you can use it. Because, this I know, we can all use a little peace and quiet ~ especially with the holidays coming.
3 comments:
I'll try it for my pre-school class! I'm not real thrilled with the recipe I've got. Any danger of smelling so good that they want to eat it?
I think that one or two of my kids have tasted it over the years -- because it does smell good. But, after one non-toxic taste they stop because it is so salty.
Thanks for the recipe. I needed one more thing for my nephews Christmas box and this is just the thing. You always come through for me, my friend. Oh, and those rolls you blogged about? I can hardly wait to make those too.
Post a Comment