Thursday, November 12, 2009

Veteran’s Day

Yesterday was Veteran’s Day. Veteran’s Day is one of those holidays that doesn’t get much attention. Kids get the day off school (depending on where you live), the banks close and the post office doesn’t deliver mail but other than that it can feel like a normal day.

Flag Plant

(my oldest at the Memorial Day flag plant with his scout troop)

Over the last couple days, I spend some time thinking about the Veterans in my family.

Bryan’s grandpa was in the Air Force. My grandparents had all passed on before I could remember them, so he has been my grandpa for the last ten years. He’s a great man, someone to look up to and admire. He’s a devoted husband, father and grandfather.

Bryan’s dad was in the National Guard. He’s a generous, kind man who has done a lot for us over the years.

My dad was in the Marine Corp. Of course, I love my dad. When I was growing up, I knew that he had fought in the Vietnam war but he didn’t ever talk about it. As we have gotten older we are learning more about his experiences. He went to Vietnam twice. He made a great sacrifice to do what was needed at that time in his life. I am eternally grateful for the example he has given me.

Bryan was in the Air Force too. He went the United States Air Force Academy and then went on to flight school. Being in the military made him the man that I know and love. He learned a lot there. Many of his good friends from college are still in the military.

I’m so grateful for all the members of military who have sacrificed for us to live the way we live. I'm also grateful for the families of those in the military ~ I can't imagine being left home with kids while my husband was deployed. It's a great sacrifice for them as well.

This song sums up in one verse how I feel:

“I thank God for my life,

and for the stars and stripes.

May freedom forever fly.

Let it ring.

Salute the ones who died,

and the ones who give their lives,

so we don’t have to sacrifice

all the things we love.”

So today, I want to thank those who serve. Because I know that my life is because of the things that they have done and still do. Thank you.

----

Today is the last day for my FHE giveaway. Enter by 9:00 PST.

2 comments:

Rebecca Irvine said...

Veteran's Day also makes me think about my Dad, Uncles, and grandfathers who have served our beautiful country. Although none actually died in the wars, they were forever changed by their experiences.

Susan said...

I think it's sad that so little attention is paid to Veteran's Day...you're right, it's mostly about having the day off.

I grew up as a Navy Brat and am always thankful for the military...both those in it and the families supporting them.