Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Spring Break Vay-Kay

Somewhere along the way I lost the marbles in my brain and decided to take the kiddies to Utah for Spring Break. Bryan had to work - they had a big week lined up - so the kids and I pulled out the Monday after Easter at 4:30 in the A.M.

My kids are troopers. We stopped three times on our drive and made it 800+ miles in 12 and 1/2 hours. Yes, we rock. We spent the rest of the week trying to see everyone. It was a little bit of madness, and I have no idea the amount of miles put on our poor mini-van but I am guessing 2100.

We used to own a set of Marble Works. My kids never played with them, so we got rid of them before we moved. So what did they spend all their free time playing with at my parents? Yes, the Marble Works. Go figure.
Look at his tongue - he is totally concentrating. This is Youngest, by the way.
We spent Tuesday with my folks. My mom and Dad both had to work for part of the day so we drove past our old house, went to my old favorite grocery store, to the skate park so Oldest could try out his moves and met some friends at the park so the kids could play.
Oldest showing off his skateboarding moves.
Youngest in the tube slide.
Tuesday night I got to spend some time with some friends. I even got to visit with some of my young women. And I played volleyball with my old team. It was so fun! I can't believe how much I miss the game....

On Wednesday we spent the afternoon with my MIL, and my kids actually got to play in some snow now that Spring has sprung. Happy day. Oh, and Youngest, who had been fighting a fever vomitted all over her couch. I'm sure that we will be invited back real soon.

Daughter, dressed for summer in short skirt & flip flops playing in the snow.
Oldest digging a tunnel to the other side.

Thursday, we drove to SLC and spent the A.M. at Bryan's grandparents. My grandparents all died before I was born, so Bryan's grandparents have been my granparents. They are the sweetest people I think that I have ever met. It was so nice to see them, even though our visit was brief.

After that we spent some time with my FIL and his wife. The kids played, we chatted, and had a good time. We went to dinner where Oldest decided to get sick. Luckily, he did not vomit on their couch. I took them back to my mom's afterwards and we all went to bed.

Friday my Mom and Dad's hometeacher came over and took my Dad and Oldest birdwatching. They saw about 20 varieties of birds. Oldest thought that it was wonderful, despite starting to get sick. We ordered take-out from Los Hermanos for lunch. It was heaven. That afternoon, we went to my sister's house for a visit with her and my two beautiful neices.

Saturday we spent the day around my parents house, and a trip to Wal-Mart (really, can you be on vacation with out a stop at Wal-Mart?) We ended the day with a game of Scrabble and movie watching. We watched August Rush. Oldest watched Because of Winn-Dixie and Second Hand Lions as well.

We got up at 6:00 on Sunday and headed back to Oregon. My awesome/sick kids and I made the drive in 11 hours and 45 minutes. Yes, we totally rock. We only stopped twice for potty breaks/gas and drove through for lunch.

I'm sure that we left my mom and dad's house in total disarray, but hopefully they will invite us back again sometime.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of when my mom would haul us kids from CA to the middle of TX in one long haul for spring break. I don't remember anyone throwing up on the couch though!

I'm glad you had fun.

Darilyn said...

There's always something you need at walmart. Too bad your kids were sick but sounds like you had a fun time anyway. you had some great visits with family I bet that was nice.

Kelly said...

Sounds like a great trip, sick kids and all. You are a super woman!

Amber said...

Remembering Los Hermanos made me SALIVATE. I love and miss Utah and were had planned to go there for Spring Break. But we weren't as brave as you. Nine hours in the car with the kids was more we thought we could handle. :-)

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

You totally rock! Especially the driving part. Holy cow! I did a Boise/Salt Lake run with just me and my boys and it about did me in.

Ginna said...

It's so hard to have sick kids on trips, but it sure seems like it happens all the time, doesn't it?
I'm glad you got to go and visit everybody, how fun! I'm looking forward to some visiting myself soon, it's so fun to go home!

Mindy said...

Sounds like you had a great trip! It also sounds like you miss your old home : )

You are a brave woman...I am nervous to go six hours with just me and my kids, and two of them are teens, lol. Good for you.