Saturday, September 6, 2008

Yoga Kids

Long ago I took a yoga class through the community education program where we used to live.  It was once a week for an hour.  I absolutely loved it.  It was just a beginning class, and I didn't end up extra strong or flexible, but I always went home relaxed.  My favorite part of the class was probably the last ten minutes where we would lay on the floor, breathing with our palms facing up and eyes closed. 

I'm to cheap to take any formal yoga classes but I would like to get back into it, so I decided to check out some DVD's from the library and find one that I like.  When I did my search, I found a Yoga Kids 3 DVD, so I put a hold on it.  It came in yesterday, so we tried it this afternoon.

This particular DVD is supposed to take kids from silly to calm.  It was fun!  My youngest only did a couple of things, although he loved dancing around for the silly part.

                            

My daughter just watched at the beginning and then started participating, and I think ended up enjoying it the most!                                   

                             DSCN9960

My oldest went back and forth on whether or not he wanted to play along.    

                             DSCN9966

We have the DVD for three weeks so we should be able to work on our balance, breathing and relaxing a few more times!

       DSCN9962 DSCN9961

                                  DSCN9969

Do you yoga?  How do you get your kids to exercise?

6 comments:

Kelly said...

I had to do a double take on the last photo. It almost looks like sister is sitting on brother's head. I was thinking "That's some kind of relaxing!"

I've been making my Jack walk with me every night. He wasn't interested in any fall sports this year and just before bed time is when he tries to release any pent up energies, so spazzy! Our nightly walks are just awesome, just the two of us, chatting about his day, or not.

I have been wanting to try a yoga dvd with my daughter for ever, never get around to it though. Good inspiration! Thanks!

Amber said...

I bought a little yogi yoga video last year and my daughter's reaction to some of the poses? "Worst pain ever."

We'll stick to hiking. :-)

Mindy said...

Aspen and I turn on 80's music and dance, lol. I always wanted to learn yoga though.

FluffyChicky said...

We all do our Wii fit as a family...the kids love doing the balancing exercises and they love racing each other using the running program. Then of course, we all love to go outside and ride bikes and play ball. I like doing the yoga stuff, but it isn't "active" enough for the rest of the family. Sigh.

Marchezt said...

These pics are so fun...I love that they have a Yoga DVD for kids!

Kaedance loves to dance, so I have a workout DVD that is like dancing and she loves to do it with me. It's fun to have my own little workout buddy. Plus, she just thinks it's fun to dance around the family room!

P.S. We hope to get a Wii for Christmas and I heard that the Fit is awesome. I was glad to see that your friends family enjoys it.

Jeanette said...

I am going to have to look for that or something like it at my library!
Those pictures are cute.
I can see my son just watching and not wanting to actually do it at least for awhile. We'll have to see.