Friday, May 30, 2008

Foto(s) Friday - Flower Edition

If you have read my blog at all, you know that I love to photograph flowers. Here are some shots from the last week. The first three are from our camping trip, and the last four are from our back yard. I could kiss the woman that used to live here. She has made it so there has been color in the yard since December.

A fern:
Some sort of wildflower - in real life it was very little:
Some sort of beautiful tree:
I think this might be phlox. If anyone knows will you tell me? :
Orange beauty:
Since reading Scott Kelby's photography book, I have been wanting to photograph flowers with a black background. He recommends velvet. All I had was a faded t-shirt. Not the same effect but it's okay. I think this is an azalea bush:




14 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are beautiful pictures! You are very talented.

Cecily R said...

My flower pics always just look flat. I guess I need people in my shots to make them work. Yours just work. Seriously coffee table book worthy!!!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. There are so many to go back and make comments on, but for today I'll start here.
You are so talented, and SO HUMBLE about it. You are a great wife, mom, book grouper, photographer, cook, decorator, etc., etc., etc. friend. I'm so glad I get to know you!

I have black sheet leftovers we used behind Ian's face shot, etc. Remind me and I'll pass it on! Your pictures are gorgeous. Scott will have to show you some shots he had printed that look more metallic. I think you get free ones to begin with, so pick some favorites and talk to him!

ENJOY THE SUN today!!

Jocelyn said...

I've heard a lot about this Scott Kelby. I need to look into his stuff. Your pictures are really beautiful. Are they SOOC or doctored in Photoshop? And what kind of camera do you use?

Beautiful.

Amanda D said...

You really should check out Scott Kelby's digital photography book. It is aimed at D-SLR users but it has helped me a ton. And I don't have a D-SLR...yet.

I use a Nikon Coolpix 4800. We got it about 3.5 years ago (and I am still learning new things about it!)

I adjusted the lighting in the last picture, but that is all. The rest are SOOC (straight out of camera.)

Bridget said...

Gorgeous! My husband has a nice camera and is into photography. We have several framed photos of flowers hanging on our walls. I love them and they cheer me up when its dark and rainy outside.

Jocelyn said...

That's incredible! I'm always doctoring everything in Photoshop. I would love to get better shots SOOC.

Thanks for visiting my blog, too. That kitchen was why we bought our home -- I love it as much now as I did then. The only thing I plan on changing ever is putting a gas range in instead of the glass cooktop -- I could do without that. Pretty small complaint, I think!

FluffyChicky said...

Those are some crazy looking plants! Nice pictures though.

Anonymous said...

Pretty flower pics. I'll have to check out Kelby's book for pointers. Then I'll have to figure out how to grow pretty flowers. I guess I can just crawl around in a stranger's yard. LOL

Jeanette said...

Those are some really beautiful flower pictures!

Ginna said...

nice photos! They're gorgeous! Aren't flowers irresistible? I can't help myself, I take picture after picture of them.

Anonymous said...

These pictures are beautiful. I couldn't tell it was a black Tshirt in that background. It turned out awesome. I love the vibrant color. I've always wanted to have plant that bloom at different times so that we always have color, but have never done it because I don't know how. I'm jealous of your yard!

Be well-Sniz

Cheryl said...

So gorgeous, Amanda! I love your talent. I also enjoy taking pictures of plants and flowers, but I'm not nearly as good at it as you are... :)

Jess said...

Really, really pretty. Nice picture taking skills!! I can't wait to see more.