Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Movies

A couple of nights ago, my husband and I were watching A Knight’s Tale and my husband commented that it was on his top ten list. I thought about it for a couple minutes and decided that while it is at the top of my list, it is not in my top ten.

He went on to tell me that my list doesn’t count because it doesn’t have The Godfather on it. I informed him that I wanted a copy of his list (I’m still waiting...), and have been thinking about my list.

Now, I am not a film critic by any means, and I know nothing about making movies. A couple of years ago, I stopped watching R-rated movies, but there are a couple on my list anyway. So, after some thought here is a list of my favorite movies (in no particular order):
  • You’ve Got Mail - The romantic-comedy. It is clever, and fun, and it makes me smile.
  • Black Hawk Down - A well done war movie that I would recommend everyone see.
  • Enemy of the State - Will Smith’s best movie by far.
  • Pride & Prejudice - The Kiera Knightly version. I know that I am in the minority here, but I saw this one before I saw the BBC version, and I think that makes a difference. I love the scenery, the music, the cast, and I thought that it was well done. After I saw it, I read the book for the first time, and then saw the BBC version. I like the BBC version, but I far prefer this one.
  • The Prince & Me - What girl didn’t dream of meeting a prince and falling in love? I love this movie, and watch it over and over.
  • Toy Story (the first, not so much with the second) - Probably the best animated movie ever made.
  • Seven Brides for Seven Brothers - This is probably mostly sentimental, but I have fond memories of sitting down and watching this movie with my mom as I grew up. I love seeing this in little theaters, and on the screen. For some reason, however, I don’t own this. (Hint, hint, Bryan. My birthday isn’t too far away.)
  • The Bourne Trilogy - I am sure that this needs no explanation
  • The Ocean’s Trilogy - These movies have the best quotes - "All black..." and "They say taupe is very soothing." - I just love these movies. Number 3 wasn’t as good as the first two, but I enjoyed all three of them.
  • Mulan - I love the story here, and the music. I just wish that my kids liked it more. I would sit down and watch this one with them. Instead they choose movies that I would rather not watch.

So, what’s your favorite movie? What are some on your top ten list?

13 comments:

mahina said...

i don't know what my top ten are, it changes a lot, but here are movies that i have really enjoyed many times:

*bourne trilogy, i'm with you on that one!
*anna and the king
*dan in real life, just the fact that he has three daughters endears this movie to me, plus it is very funny!
*13 going on 30
*sound of music, i just love julie andrews voice!
*return to me
*transformers, as weird as that sounds, this movie is hilarious and i love the noise the transformers make when they transform! so cool!

Amanda D said...

I like 13 Going on 30, too, Mahina! I haven't seen Dan in Real Life or Transformers. Dan is on my list of to-see, though.

My list is always changing too.

Darilyn said...

Great topic Amanda. I love a good movie. Some of my favorites.

*Fools Rush In (matthew perry and Salma Hayek) I love it and can watch it over and over.
*The sound of Music
*Sense and Sensibility
*Mulan This is my all time favorite Disney animated movie.
*The Parent Trap (older version with Hayley Mills)

FluffyChicky said...

Ooh! Movies!! I love movies!!! I could talk for days about movies that I love.

First, I love Disney. I collect Disney movies. All of them. The animated ones, the live action ones, the mixed ones, and the CGI ones. I even have a copy of Song of the South. My favorite ones though are Mulan and the Rescuers Down Under.

What else...

Addams Family Values
10 Things I Hate About You
Sense and Sensibility (both the Masterpiece Theater one and the Emma Thompson one...Alan Rickman...yummo!)
Pride and Prejudice (I like the BBC one...Kiera Knightly drives me batty!)
What's Eating Gilbert Grape
Star Wars (all of them...the "old ones" the best though)
The Lord of the Rings series
The Count of Monte Cristo (the version that is all in French with Gerard Depardieu or however you spell his name)
Harry Potter movies

Wow...I wrote a novel here! Sorry. :) I do that when I get excited.

behka said...

Haven't been by in a while... sounds like you been busy! Love the pic of you and Bryan! And beautiful flower pics. And the scrapbook looks amazing! Where do you find the time, girl?

Cheryl said...

Okay. I'm not sure I can do this. I have so many favorite movies, that my list is like the Top 100 or something. But I'll give it a try:

Ever After
Star Wars (all 6 of 'em.)
Lord of the Rings trilogy
The Bourne trilogy (good pick!)
Much Ado About Nothing (Kenneth Branaugh)
Pride and Prejudice (every one ever made)
Persuasion (new one)
Northanger Abbey (new one)
Sense and Sensibility (both of 'em)
Emma (both of 'em)
The Wedding Singer
Return to Me
While You Were Sleeping
Runaway Bride
Big Fish (haven't seen it in a while, though).
Sixth Sense, The Village, Signs
Spider Man (I liked 'em all)
Napolean Dynamite
Nacho Libre
The Three Amigos
Monty Python (Holy Grail)
Tommy Boy
Zoolander
A Knight's Tale
10 Things I Hate About You
13 going on 30
Iron Man
The Sound of Music
The Phantom of the Opera
Singing in the Rain
Every Cary Grant flick ever made
Every Doris Day flick ever made
Pretty much every Roger and Hammerstein musical ever made as well...

Like fluffy, I also love Disney movies! Some of my favorite classics are:
The Castaways
Summer Magic
The Happiest Millionare
Follow Me, Boys

I love all the animated ones, too. But my favorites of those are:
Mulan
Ratatouille
Cars
Sleeping Beauty
Finding Nemo
Beauty and the Beast
The Fox and the Hound

And now you can see my dilemma! I have too many favorites and I haven't even listed them all, yet.

Christie said...

Totally with you on the 7 Brides, but WHA? The Kiera Knightly P&P? I'll still try to like you. :-)

Some of my other favs are:

Braveheart
The Holiday
Love Actually
P&P (A&E version)
Godfather 1 & 2 (we don't talk about 3)
The Usual Suspects
Casino

How fun - now I want to go watch movies all day.

kelly said...

oh i don't think i could come up with my top ten. but it's fun reading everyone elses. definitely high on my list is th A&E P&P, Grease, just about every 80's movie (just recently we watched adventures in baby sitting)& Stardust (a new addition).

Amanda D said...

Ooh, I forgot about The Parent Trap. I really like 10 Things I Hate About You too.

Stie, I am glad that you will try to like me. It can be a challenge, I know! My husband would approve of your list - all those gangster movies. :)

Jake said...

When Harry Met Sally
Shawshank Redemption
What's Up Doc
Sound of Music
It's a Wonderful Life
Music Man
Dan in Real Life
Housesitter
Legally Blonde
Sliding Doors


Oh...I want to go watch some right now!

Amanda D said...

Shawshank Redemption is an excellent one. It should be on my top ten list. Hmm. Needing to rethink it all ready!

Doesn't a movie night sound good?!

Bridget said...

Dan in Real Life was very cute. I loved the Spiderman series. Shawshank Redemption as mentioned. VERY good. Life is Beautiful has got to the very best though.

Mindy said...

"You've Got Mail" is at the top of my list too! I love it!