Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

I just want to say happy Mother's day to all of you. I hope you have a wonderful day!

It seems like, most nights when I go to bed I think about what I did or didn't do that day, what I should have done, what I should not have done. I think most of us need to not be so hard on ourselves. So tonight when you go to bed, remind yourself that tomorrow is another day and that we are all doing the best we can.

Probably one of the things that my mother taught me was : Pick your battles. This has been such great advice, and it is something that I struggle with each day. I am constantly reminding myself of this.

Bridget posted recently about some advice that someone gave her : When your child hugs you, don't let go until they let go. I loved this, and ever since I read about it, I have been following it. It's wonderful. So, Bridget, thanks for sharing this, (and I hope you don't mind my sharing it.)

What is the best "Mom-Advice" you have gotten?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The best advice I ever got was don't let your kids go to sleep mad. But I really like your hugging advice and am going to start implementing it right now!

Sniz

Darilyn said...

the best mom advice I got was when I was worrying over potty training. A wise woman said to me "stop worrying about it. It's not like they won't be potty trained when they go to kindergarten." I stopped worrying that very day about it and you know what? All my kids were potty trained by kindergarten!

Bridget said...

I am so glad that advice left an impression on you too! I have really enjoyed hugs from my kids so much more now. You can tell when your kids just need you a little more that day because they don't want to let go.

I also like the advice to not be on the computer while they are home. I am really working on this one. It's hard for me. I want to be in the moment for them and not miss out on those important conversations.

mahina said...

i also struggle with the "pick your battles" thing. I really need to work on that daily!

it is amazing how wonderful the hugs are that your kids give you when you don't let go until they do! somehow the hugs are better that way!

happy mother's day!

Cheryl said...

The best advice I ever got was this:

Hold your baby. You can't spoil a child by showing them love!

And it's true. Sure, you can spoil them other ways, but not by holding them.

Happy Mother's Day!

Cecily R said...

I think your mom and mine MUST be friends...I get the choose your battles advice too!! And it is such GOOD advice!!!

Happy belated Mother's Day to you!!!