So, here is my list of things that I really miss about Utah. First:
Seriously, most of the stoplights around here don't have these signs. And I feel like I am sitting at lights forever. But here, people don't fly through the yellow lights and maybe this is why. In Oregon, yellow actually means slow down and or stop. And while we are talking about traffic:
Seriously. It seems like most of the freeways around here at 55 MPH zones. I can't handle going that slow. It surprises me that I haven't gotten a ticket yet, because I am almost always going 70 on the freeway. However, the nice thing about Oregon drivers is that no one seems to be in a hurry and for the most part they are very polite and courteous.Second:
Farr's Ice Cream is made in Ogden, UT and available at grocery stores in Utah. It is so good. Specifically, I miss the mint chocolate chip. It is the best. It doesn't have that waxy chocolate in it that a lot of ice cream makers use. Here we have Tillamook Ice Cream (and cheese!) which is good, but there is no comparison with the Farr's Mint Chocolate Chip.
Third, I really really really miss the grid system. Give me an address in Utah, and I can find it. Guaranteed. Here? No. Last night, I was driving to the soccer game for my daughter, and as we are about 10 games into the season I should know where I am going. But no, I ended up 50 blocks west of where I needed to be, and got lost and she just barely made it. It is very frustrating with all the loops, places, avenues, lanes, road, circles, etc. And the roads are NOT in alphabetical order like people say they are. Now, I know that for people that grew up out of Utah's grid system have a hard time when they go to Utah but it all makes so much sense to me. And, I also understand that it would be very difficult to do a grid system here with all the hills, and rolls in the landscape.
Fourth, Allens. Yes, the grocery store. We lived in Springville, and the Allen's there was very nice. And they had the wackiest stuff! You could just wander the aisles and find neat things. The employees were nice, the pharmacy was fast, the store was clean, and the deals were good. Here I shop at Wal-Mart for most things or Albertson's (for milk and meat), and I miss the small-town-store feel of Allen's. I know that there is Win-co here but I need to shop at a store that takes credit card.
Fifth, Lilly Lake: (Image via Flickr - Spoiler_3)
This is a picture of my favorite place on earth. Lilly Lake along the Mirror Lake Highway in the Uinta National Forest. That is Bald Mountain sticking up in the back. Every summer we would make several day-trips here with our rubber raft, and my mom and dad's canoe. We would spend the day floating the lake, hiking around the lake, picnicking, reading and enjoying family and friends. It was such a great way to beat the heat, and a beautiful place to camp. Oh, I love it. So tranquil, and peaceful.
Sixth, my friends. I really miss them. My friend's lives went on after I left. They are busy with their families, friends, jobs, church, new babies, PTA, etc; and they don't need the communication with me as much. This is natural. I know that. I just haven't found a really good friend here. I don't have someone that I can call and say, "Let's go get a coke," or "Let's hit the movies" or "I'm having a crappy day and I need to chat..."
I played volleyball with a group of friends from church on Tuesday nights. It was so great. It helped keep me active, and it was a great stress relief. I really miss that too. I realize that I need to make more of an effort to make some friends, and I am working on it. :)
Seventh, my family. I miss the family dinners & bbq's. The game nights. Getting together to go shopping or walking along the river. Having my niece babysit. Holiday dinners and get together's. My mom's cooking. I live close to one sister and my brother here, but they are both single and their lives are very different from mine, so it isn't quite the same.
I could go on forever. There are so many things I miss (the mountains all around, the snow, Sam's Club, Sonic Drive-In, Shopko, being close to temples, walking distance to church, etc.) but I'm calling it good.
There are a lot of things I love about Oregon (another post, I swear!), but right now I'm really missing home. Utah will always be home. And now I need a tissue. What are the things that signify Home to you?
10 comments:
I enjoyed this post! I am not from Utah but I did live in Oregon for about 2 years. I never felt at home there. Like Utah is home for you, the Midwest will always be home for me.
What really got me laughing is when you said "the nice thing about Oregon drivers is that no one seems to be in a hurry and for the most part they are very polite and courteous." Seriously?? I thought Oregon drivers were the worst, most impatient drivers I have ever encountered! People in Oregon don't seem to know how to drive unless they are riding right on top of your bumper. Utah really must have some bad drivers is you think Oregon drivers are courteous. :-)
And yes the low speed limits in Oregon are the pits.
I am curious to read about what you do like in Oregon. We can compare notes. :-)
I will have to try the things you miss about Utah. I don't think I have ever tasted Farr's Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream. I guess you never realize what you have until it is gone, huh? I understand missing friends though. When we moved 6 weeks ago we left behind some pretty great friends. They still get together and even though they are only a few hours away, we don't really see them anymore. I am trying to get out of my comfort zone and make friends too. Good luck!
That is so sweet. The grid system really is brilliant.
I moved so much as a child and now a lot since being married, no place is home. It's nice because I don't have those pangs you are having. But I definitely have them for my family. They feel like home to me.
You lived in Springville? Every time we drive through, I think it is the cutest place. How fun to live there.
Farr's ice cream: I always see it and have never tried it. We're running to the grocery store after Baby A's dr appointment and I'm going to have to dive in. Mint choc chip is my fave.
I'm from CA, and it took 2 years for me to stop being homesick for UT after we moved back to CA. I love Salt Lake City. And I'm hearing you on the friend thing. You can have a million friends nearby and desperately want the ones that are far away.
Whenever I think about Allen's it brings back the BEST memories for me. Springville was the first place that Chris and I lived when we got married. Allen's was the first grocery store I shopped at when married. How can I have lived in Utah for almost five years and never heard of Farr's ice cream? Weird. Amanda, when are you going to come over here to Beaverton? We have a Sonic. Did you know that? Between 2-4 it's Happy Hour and you can get any drink for half price. Yummmmy Grape Slushies. That's my fav.
Yes, those things you miss about Utah are things I'm glad to have back. But man, you are right! I need to do another series about what I miss about California! Janelle is actually on that list. :)
Come visit again, Amanda. This time, I'll be here, and we can go out to lunch or something. :)
I've lived in five states now and home is just wherever I am with my husband and kids.
Utah drivers were awful, I agree. I have no problems with Oregon drivers at all. Farr's ice cream was good and you really can't beat the grid system.
Utah is great. I have to admit that you should miss the Utah drivers. They aren't the greatest, and I am one of them. :) We miss you here!
This is so funny that I read this today because yesterday I was just thinking about how at Christmas time I really wanted to move back to Utah. Now, I still do, but I feel like we belong where we're at. Behka told me that I was good at making my home home, does that even make sense? It's true though. We can always make a happy home no matter what our circumstances or where we're at in the world. My friend's husband is taking a job in China, they leave in 2009, and they can't go to church or openly share their religion. She's already starting to collect things for her home that will remind her of the Savior. Her home will have to be her sactuary. So I guess what signifies home to me is what is in my home...my husband, children, warm memories and the happy feelings (except when I'm having a rough day).
Post a Comment