Friday, January 11, 2008

Today & Moments

Today my MIL is coming for a visit. We are all looking forward to it. My kids can't wait to play Barbie, Hide 'n' Go Seek, and Uno with her. We have plans to go sledding, but we aren't sure our "mini" van will get us there as we do not have chains. We might go and see the new VeggieTales movie. DH and I might get a date!

My husband probably loves when people are coming to stay. Why? Because I actually clean the house. Not just the basic pickup, but I clean the bathrooms from shower to floor to toilet to everything, the kids bedrooms are picked up, vacuumed, and beds made. Our bedroom is the same. The fridge is cleaned out, the laundry room is swept. Sheets and towels are cleaned, folded and put away. I don't love (or even like) to house clean. Although, I like a clean house. Basically, I am lazy. I am getting better at keeping the house clean though. And as long as we have visitors every couple of months, the house stays in pretty good shape.

Some of my favorite moments from this week were:
* School started again! Hallelujah! In Utah, school starts on Jan. 2. Always has, probably always will. In Oregon (and most other states, I think) the district thinks that I can entertain my kids for three weeks so school doesn't start until the Monday after New Years Day.
*In VeggieTales Sumo of the Opera, there is a Mr. T like vegetable that says, "I pity me" when he gets hurt. The other evening, Youngest was being his naughty-2-year-old self and Bryan picked him up to put him in time out. Youngest knew what was happening and exclaimed, "Oh! I pity me!"
*Our neighbor was doing some de-cluttering, and brought our boys two new puzzles. My kids love puzzles. So do I.
*Yesterday, we had a massive hail storm. It was awe-inspiring. My husband, youngest and I all stood in the window and watched it come down. Very impressive.
Yesterday's hail on the back patio

*Youngest was in our room looking at our wedding photos, and said, "Mommy, you are a princess!" It made me feel good. I felt like a princess that day.
*Oldest got a new issue of Lego Magazine in the mail, and he was so excited. It rubbed off on me.
*Oldest is really picking up on his reading, and I am so glad for it.

So, what have been your favorite moments of the week?

7 comments:

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

Good moments! Let's see, building a snow mountain in the backyard with J, and E wanting to read to me each evening. Hubby and I get a date tomorrow night, that's another one of my favorite (upcoming) moments for the week!

gab said...

We have not had one sprinkle of snow! My kids are beside themselves.

behka said...

Sydney pottied in the potty. WOO WOO!!! Once she masters the skill, we will all be out of diapers!

Cheryl said...

I love, love, love that you don't super-clean until visitors come. Me, too!

Good things this week? Okay, finding out about Austen on PBS was amazing; three solid days of great piano lessons; Brandon continued to make yummy Thai food; just found out from my mom tonight that she and my dad are flying out for a week in February!! I'll have a reason to clean my house now. :)

Amanda D said...

Holly - Date nights are so great aren't they? We don't get them nearly often enough...

Behka - I can't wait to be done with diapers...maybe Youngest will be ready in the summer...

Cheryl - Have fun with your house cleaning and enjoy the time with your parents even more!

Gab - if you get some snow, could you send me a package full?

Bridget said...

yeah the hail here can be pretty cool. I like that it isn't snow and doesn't require shoveling.

School starting is a beautiful thing!

Kelly said...

Those were great happy thoughts. Every one of them made me smile.

I'm having a baby shower at my house on Thursday and my fridge got cleaned Saturday. It's good to have people over now and then!

Good things: I took the longest nap in the history of Sunday naps today!