Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Around Our House

Postum
People are totally freaking out over the fact that Kraft has stopped making Postum. While my MIL was here, her parents called and asked her to check the stores here for Postum because Utah has run out. Bryan did some research and discovered that Kraft has stopped making Postum (while this was big news in Utah , it was not in Oregon) so he looked for other places to buy it. There was a bunch on Ebay, so when he and my MIL stopped at the grocery store he bought eight cans - 4 red label, 4 blue label - and listed them on ebay. Eight jars cost him $41. One batch sold for $71, the other for $73. Crazy! So, next time you are at the store, see if they have any Postum left and auction it on ebay!

Enrichment - Deceptively Delicious
I don’t feel that I need to deceive my kids into eating vegetables. They don’t eat every vegetable but they will all eat vegetables. I am convinced that if kids are offered something enough, they will eventually eat it. But, last night for our Enrichment cooking group they did a Deceptively Delicious class. I hadn’t planned on going but by the time my husband came home from working, I needed out of the house so away I went. The two women that were in charge put in a lot of time and it was a very well done class. They had a ton of food to sample. Deviled eggs with carrot puree, fruit smoothies with spinach, brownies with carrots and spinach, and chocolate- peanut butter fruit dip with carrots. They were all pretty good and you really couldn’t taste the veggies in them. The best thing though was Eggplant Pizza. It was so good! Now, I doubt that my kids would really eat it but maybe...

Here is the recipe: 1 large eggplant, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
2 egg whites
½ cup seasoned bread crumbs
pizza sauce, pizza cheese and pizza toppings of choice

Dip eggplant slices in egg white and coat with breadcrumbs. Bake in 425 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until the slices are crisp, golden and tender. Take out and top with sauce and toppings of choice, put back in oven for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
I know, it sounds so gross, but it really was good.

Messes everywhere
Seems like lately my kids can’t play with out making huge messes. Everywhere I went last night there was a mess. They tore apart the boys room, there were toys everywhere in the living room, they tore apart the linen closet, etc. I just don’t know what to do about it! I take away toys, I do time-outs and I yell. Nothing is working. Anyone out there have a good way to deal with this type of thing? If so, please share!

7 comments:

Victoria said...

The Postum comment makes me laugh! My grandma used to love drinking that, as did my Mom, guess it's the Mormon coffee. :) I would tell them to try Pero, it's close to the same. lol!

As for help with the kids? Hmm...it's tough I know, my kids are the same. I had to pack things up and just let them have a little at a time, and make them clean up after or they were not allowed to do anything else until they did etc. But I need to be more consistant with that or it doesn't work. Hee hee! Good luck!

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

I've never understood the Postum thing. Does it really taste like coffee? I'm more a cocoa person, and fortunately, I don't think Ghirardelli will ever stop making it!!

Bridget said...

My mom loved Postum so its a good thing she's not around for that bad news! My mom also made Eggplant pizza but I hated it. Hopefully you'll have better luck with your kids.

My boys ransack the house all the time. All I can say is make them clean it up. It takes FOREVER that way but I keep telling myself they must have learned, a little bit, right...

Kelly said...

The Postum bit was really funny. I like 1/2 Postum and 1/2 Hot Chocolate. I didn't realize they still sold it. I'll have to look for it on the shelves.

I have no parenting answers, nothing. But good luck!

Cheryl said...

Am I the only one who has never heard of Postum? I had no idea what it even was...

I do the same thing as Victoria, but an all-out pack 3/4ths of their stuff away in huge bins. We also have a schedule and they can't have dinner or go to a friend's house until it's cleaned up. What I've done recently is to just let it go. We have our big cleaning day once a week, and I make them clean up before piano lessons (that's the one thing I love about having people come over to my house everyday! I clean!), so every once in a while, if it's a terrible mess, I don't freak out. But it took me a long time to get here. Ooh! But the biggest thing I learned from my mom about 2 years ago? She said to help them clean. Give them assignments, but get down and help them a little. Praise the smallest things, and do it with patience and calm. I don't always follow this advice (I'm weak and angry), but when I do, it works really well, and soon they do it on their own.

I won the Deceptively Delicious cookbook in a drawing and I HATE IT. Besides not having time to make all the purees, I think it's a terrible idea. Sure, the receipes taste good, but I agree with your first premise. What good is that going to do for the kids' abilities to like/eat/want vegetables? It's lying to the children and hoping that later on they'll develop a palate for it. Makes no sense to me. Not saying people shouldn't use it --it's just not for me.
Rant over. :)

behka said...

So I was at Allens today and noticed the empty Postum shelf, and the apology for any inconvenience, and I smiled. I actually like Pero.... does that make me part of a lost generation?

mahina said...

we have some postum in our pantry right now! i'll have to check the grocery store next time i'm there! what a quick way to make an easy buck, or 2, or 3!! that cracks me up!!