Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Make a Rag Quilt in 10 Steps

You could also call this post The Longest Blog Post Ever, or The Post in which We See Too Many Pictures of Amanda’s Hand, but we wont.  Make a Rag Quilt in 10 Steps is much better.

So, last Wednesday, I announced that I would finally have my rag quilt tutorial up. I had finished the quilt for my sister-in-law, had taken pictures of each step and was ready to type up the instructions and share with you all.

Of course, on Thursday, my computer died. I was using it and it shut off. I tried to restart it and it wouldn't. I have tried start up repair. And system restore. Nothings works. Luckily, I just burned my pictures from 2009 onto discs, and I had just printed pictures at Costco, and I had just printed out 27 pages of recipes for my binder, so I'm not worried about anything I lost.

However, all the pictures for my tutorial were on there. So what was I going to do?

Here's what I did: I pulled out some fabric and made another quilt, taking pictures of each step so that I can still share with you. Because I like you. I'm snagging a few minutes here and there when Bryan isn't using his computer to check email, and write this post. While it's probably okay that my laptop is dead (after all, without it as a distraction, my house is cleaner, I finished a quilt and I have been reading books more), I miss it. Dreadfully. I'm quite certain that someone with a lot of computer knowledge can fix it, however, I will have to wait until there is extra cash around for that.

Ha.

Like that will happen.

Anyway…back to quilting.

First, I need to remind you all that I am not a great sew-er. I can't figure out a pattern for pajama pants to save my life. But, rag quilts are easy. if you can sew a semi-straight line, you're good. You can do it! Also, I am not a perfectionist. I don't wash and iron fabric before I use it. I try to get my material to be perfect 8" squares, but quite often they aren't the same size and I'm okay with that. My seams seldom match up, which on a rag quilt is just fine. I personally think it adds a bit of character to a quilt.

Step 1: Gather Supplies

For this quilt, I used two flannel fabrics (cowboy print and brown) and denim. It's a small quilt, for a baby so I planned on it being 6 squares by 6 squares. My squares are 8" each. Since I am using denim, I am not using any batting. If you are using flannel for the front and the back, you will want batting. I recommend a thin batting, like Hobbs.

DSC_0020

I also use an Olfa cutting mat (mine is 24x17"), an Olfa grid ruler (mine is 6.5"x24"), an Olfa rotary cutter. You'll need a sewing machine. Thread. Scissors.

And fabric! I have made rag quilts with linen type fabric. It works, but they don't fray as nicely. And they aren't as soft. I recommend flannel. How much fabric you ask? Well, I happen to have a nice little chart that can help you figure that out, because heaven knows, I can't. I just buy fabric and hope it's enough (seriously). I got this chart at The Corn Wagon - a darling quilt shop in Springville, Utah.

001

Step 2: Cut your squares!

I want all my squares to be 8" so that is what I will refer to throughout this post. I have folded my fabric in half and in half again, getting it as straight as I can. Then I am laying the cut edge of the fabric on my mat, and lining it up with a line on the mat. Then I am placing my grid-ruler on top of my fabric and lining it up 8 inches from the edge of my fabric. Holding down the grid carefully, I cut with my rotary cutter. I move the grid again and cut eight inches from the last cut.

DSC_0021 DSC_0022 DSC_0023

After I do this several times, I end up up with strips of fabric, that I am then cutting into squares. Same way. Line it up, measure 8 inches, and cut.

DSC_0026 DSC_0027

Note: You will want to cut your batting the same way. Cut it smaller than the fabric. If you are planning on a 1/2" seam, but your batting 1" smaller than the fabric. If you are planning on a 1" seam, cut the batting 2" smaller.

You end up with nice stacks of fabric:

DSC_0028

Step 3: Sew "X"s on your squares

Here begins the sewing. Take two square of fabric (putting batting in between, if you are using just flannel) and place them together with the wrong sides together. You don't turn fabric on a rag quilt so make sure that the top is on the top and the bottom is on the bottom.

DSC_0031 

Sew diagonally from one corner to the other corner (\).

You could take it out of your machine and sew the other line (/) now, or you can leave it in your machine and add another two squares of fabric. This is what I do - it wastes less thread. Simply, stitch a couple stitches beyond the fabric and lift the foot and slide the next one. It sews the squares together on a chain.

DSC_0030

When I have sewn all one line (\) on all the squares, I take them off the machine and clip them apart. Then I start over with the other line (/) to make an X.

DSC_0033

Step 4: Sew rows.

Next you are going to sew the squares into rows. Hopefully you have figured out how you want the top of the quilt to look so you know what order to sew the squares together in. If not, I'll wait while you figure that out.

I have just two fabrics, so I am doing every other one - first cowboy then brown. Easy.

DSC_0039 DSC_0040 DSC_0041

Pick up two squares and hold them with the back side together. Sew a straight line down one side. Keep the seam as big as you want it - if you want a long fringe you would sew in an inch. I typically sew to the 5/8" marker on my machine. This gives me a fringe that is about 1/2" long.

Remove from machine and add another block to the right, and sew across until you have the number in a row that you want. This quilt is a 6 block by 6 block quilt so I am sewing 6 blocks into a row, and then I am moving on to the next row.

I lay my rows out on the floor so that I can constantly check to make sure that I am sewing the right color as the first block of each row:

DSC_0043 

Step 5: Sew Rows Together

Now that you have your rows sewn, it's time to put them together into a quilt. You basically do the same thing you did in the last step, except you are sewing rows together instead of just blocks.

DSC_0045

When you are sewing rows together you will come to a point where the fabric will be very thick if both the top seams and bottoms seams are pressed the same way. I recommend pushing one seam up and one seam down so it will be easier on your sewing machine.

For this quilt, with 6 rows, I sew 3 rows together, set them aside and sew 3 more rows together. Then I sew the 3rows to the 3 rows, making my quilt 6 rows.

This makes it so that it isn's so heavy and hard to keep straight. One of the first quilts I did, I just added row after row and as I got to the end I was sewing 1 row onto 8 rows. Those 8 rows were heavy and gravity tried to pull them down so it was hard to sew that last one on.

Now, when I sew rows together, I split them up. For example, if I am doing an 8 row quilt, I am going to sew together 2 rows, and set aside. Sew 2 more. Set aside. Sew 2 more. Set aside. Sew 2 more. Set aside. (Giving me 4 rows of 2.) Then, I am going to sew 2 rows to 2 rows and set it aside. Then I do the same with the remaining rows. Then I sew 4 rows to 4 rows.

I really hope that makes sense.

Step 6: Sew around the edge of the quilt

Now that your rows are together, you get to do the easy part - sew around the outside edge of the quilt. Do the same seams you did before, and sew around the perimeter.

Step 7: Clip the edges

This is the part that you need a cool evening, a good movie and a cold drink for.

Put the movie in, spread the quilt on your lap and start clipping. I used to use my Olfa scissors (yellow handle), but my mom gave me these Fiskars scissors for Christmas and it has a spring in it so my hand doesn't get sore from all the cutting.

DSC_0047 DSC_0048

Clip as far apart as you want your fringe to be. I like to do mine about 1/3"-1/2" but I vary as I go along.

Step 8: Wash and dry the quilt

I had a friend who had a friend that washed her rag quilt in her washer at home the first time. Supposedly, it broke her washer. I recommend going to the Laundromat and washing and drying it. You will be surprised how much fuzz, lint and string come off.

DSC_0049

But you will also be surprised at how lovely the fringe is.

Step 9: Check seams for holes

You are almost done! However, you MUST check all your seams for holes (aka spots where you clipped too far.) I have yet to make one that I didn't need to fix a hole. To do this, I turn the quilt over and run my finger along EVERY single seam.

DSC_0050

For this quilt I had one little hole.

I found it, and was able to sew it back up easily.

I did have a spot where the scissors slipped and I cut WAY too far in on the edge, but I used my zig-zag stitch on my machine and fixed it before I washed it.

DSC_0053

And now for the best part:

Step 10: Snuggle up and enjoy your creation!

11 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh my gosh I can't wait to make one! Thank you for this. I've been craving creating lately, especially digging my sewing machine out from the attic. Last time I tried making a rag quilt, I sewed right through my finger, skilled, I know. But with you along, I think I just might be able to do it!

FluffyChicky said...

Oh, that is awesome! I am so going to make one!

Julie P said...

You rock. Thank you for doing this!

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

Such a cute quilt!

Darilyn said...

You've been busy, girl. Great tutorial. I'm sorry about your laptop. It's spurring me to get all my pictures on discs. I need to do that.

Jaymie said...

So can I just buy the material and have you make it for me? You know how bad I am at sewing! ;) Love ya girl, you are awesome!!

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

Aside from the fact that the Colin Firth Pride & Prejudice is way better than the Keira Knightley version, this was an awesome tutorial, Amanda! ;)

With my denim quilts, I did use batting (Warm & Natural). It makes it heavy, but Idaho gets cold in the winter time and we like heavy, warm blankets! One of them was cotton and denim and the other was flannel and denim. The cotton frayed nicely and my son loves it (he chose it), but I much prefer the flannel.

I'm doing a third one, much smaller, in all flannel. The only problem is J wants picos (prairie points) on it. I've never done those before!

Anonymous said...

That is super cute. I wish I had any confidence in my ability to pull that off, but I'm afraid even with your lovely, detailed instructions, I would be lost.

Mindy said...

Okay I am totally excited now! I've always admired your quilts and thank you so much for taking the time to make this tutorial!! I am totally going to make one too. This was perfect timing too, because we just got our tax refund (so I can afford the supplies!) AND we are redecorating the house, yay!!

troutdalite said...

Great step by step. I made a baby quilt for a gift that had that rodeo fabric...cute!

Michelle said...

Fantastic! I just finished a quilt today and wondered if I should have made it a rag quilt. I thought of you, even before reading this post.

My fave part of it? That you made a new quilt to do the tutorial after your computer died. Like, wow.

(And did you do this while sick, too?)