Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Cutting Up Jeans

The picture I submitted to the Pioneer Woman was the top one.  I then thought that I should submit the third one. Then just about everyone that commented liked the middle one best.  Ree just posted the first batch of pictures that caught her eye, and there was a lot of beach silhouettes so I’m glad I didn’t do that second one.  Although, she may have chosen it if I had! 

Anyhoo -

Forever ago I posted about how I use old jeans to make rag quilts.  A couple of you asked me for a tutorial.  This week, I’m starting with how I cut up old jeans to make them usable for quilts.  Next Wednesday, I’ll have the full rag quilt tutorial up (because I finally finished the one that goes to my sister-in-law for her wedding.  We wont point out that her reception was in July. Of 2009.)

DSCN0683

To start, you are going to need a pair of old denim jeans or shorts (like I’m using here) and a good pair of scissors. 

DSCN0684

I start with the inseam – the one on the inside of the leg.  Starting at the bottom, I cut up to the crotch of the pants.  Then I do the other leg:

 DSCN0685

Then I cut up the seam to the zipper.  I usually cut the zipper out here as well.  Next, I flip the pants over, and cut the seam going up the middle of the pockets.  I always try to keep pockets in tact, because how fun to have a pocket on a quilt (although, keep in mind that you will have to sew through the thick seams on pockets.  I’ve broken a couple needles that way.)

DSCN0686 DSCN0687

After that, I get out my see-thru ruler thing and my rotary cutter and I cut the bottom seam off:

DSCN0688

Then, once I’ve decided on the size of square I want (98% of the time I go with an 8” block), and I cut:

DSCN0689

Leaving me with this:

DSCN0692

Easy-peasey-lemon-squeezy.

And a great way to build your denim stash for no money. 

If you decide it’s too much work and you think you’re going to throw the pants out instead, don’t! Send ‘em my way.  Or find another crafter that will use them.  :)

6 comments:

Rebecca Irvine said...

This is great! Very helpful.

FluffyChicky said...

I can't wait for the rest of the tutorial! Because us us-crafty people need all the help we can get... :)

Jocelyn said...

A denim quilt has been on my imaginary to-do list for I don't know how long. I'm looking forward to your tutorial!!!

Katie Gee said...

I did a denim quilt recently. I love it!

I LOVE your sunset pictures. They are so beautiful! I love them all and can't choose a favorite.

Darilyn said...

You lost me at the cut an 8 inch square part. Do you use the see through thing to measure with? Do you have lots of stuff leftover? I am seriously challenged when it comes to this stuff but I would love to be able to do it.

Darilyn said...

You lost me at the cut an 8 inch square part. Do you use the see through thing to measure with? Do you have lots of stuff leftover? I am seriously challenged when it comes to this stuff but I would love to be able to do it.