Monday, January 4, 2010

Best Books of ‘09

In 2009, I read 65 books.  Many fewer than the 70+ that I read in 2008.  But that’s okay.  I’m okay with that.  This year I did a little more reading of the Ensign.  I also varied the type of books that I read – a few parenting books, a couple educational type books, etc; but I still find that my favorites are pretty consistent from year to year.  I enjoy young-adult books, I enjoy historical fiction.    The books I read in 2009 that I gave five stars to were:

So B. It by Sarah Weeks – This book is a young adult book about a girl being raised by her mentally handicapped mother and her agora-phobic neighbor.  It was a sad book, but it had such a great voice.  I couldn’t put it down.  It was a quick read, and very touching.  Read it.  Soon.

1328363Someone Named Eva by Joan M. Wolf – This is another young adult book about a blond-haired, blue-eyed girl that is taken from her family during WWII and put into a “Germanization” program.  It was interesting, and sad, and hopeful all at the same time.  Apparently, I like books that are a little sad.  I notice this is a trend with my favorites from ‘09.  Not really sure what that means. :)

The Lost Quilter by Jennifer Chiaverini – This is the 14th or something in the Elm Creek Quilters series. When I had read the one or two before this one, I thought the Ms. Chiaverini needed to let the series end, but I thought that this one was probably the best one.  This book takes you back in time to slave days and follows the story of Joanna.

The Wednesday Wars by Gary Schmidt – This is a YA book about a boy named Holling Hoodhood who must spend Wednesday afternoons with his teacher alone because his classmates all go to religious instruction.  It was so entertaining.  Just don’t look at the cover. 

The Guernsey Literary Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer – This is a historical fiction that takes place post WWII.  Juliet gets a letter from a stranger on the island of Guernsey and begins to correspond with the people on this island.  It’s a book that is told all in letters.  Fun. 

My mom listened to this book on CD and thought it was more enjoyable that way.

Recovering Charles by Jason F. Wright – This book is about a man searching for his father in New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.  I really enjoyed it.

Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson – Another historical fiction.  It’s technically a young adult book but it surprises me that it is in the children’s section of the library.  It seems to me like it might be a little much for your 6-7th graders, but maybe not.  I would say 9-10th grade and up.  I believe that it’s the first of a trilogy but I’ve no idea when the others are supposed to be released. 

It takes place before and during the Revolutionary War, and is about a 13-year-old girl named Isabel and her sister who become the property of a NYC couple.  It’s heart wrenching. 

My Fair Godmother by Janette Rallison – This is another young-adult book.  It’s a modern day fairy tale and it’s funny and clever and cute.  I could totally see it as a Disney movie. 

and my favorite kid’s book of the year was:

Apples to Oregon: Being the (Slightly) True Narrative of how a Brave Pioneer Father Brought Apples, Peaches, Pears, Plums, Grapes and Cherries (And Children) Across the Plains by Deborah Hopkinson – Seriously, with a title like that how could you go wrong? This is such a fun book to read out loud.  The story is so fun, the artwork is great and the rhythm of the book is perfect for reading out loud.

What were your favorite books of 2009?  Any you’re really excited to read in 2010?

5 comments:

Darilyn said...

I love your book reviews. Now I know what to grab at the library. You read far more than I did this. Last year I discovered that I loved books on CD and that at least enables me to get through some books. It's hard for me to find time when I'm not in the car or working so the CDs work for me. And I'm so glad you read So B. It. and that you liked it.

Julie said...

I thought Someone Named Eva was one of the best books ever. Sometimes I wonder if the YA audience realizes the treasures being written just for them.

Cecily R said...

I'm so lame i haven't heard of any of these...but I'm happy to add to my list of books I need to check out. :) My favorite read of '09 was HANDS DOWN The Book Thief.

Rebecca Irvine said...

Love Jennifer Chiaverini--I will have to read this one you list.

Loved Potato Peel Pie Society--and also heard it was a great book on CD.

Love your flower header, too!

You should add a few non-fiction to your list this year.

Amanda D said...

I should read some non-fiction. I find that I start them and tend to not finish them.

I did read Freakanomics, Have a New Kid by Friday, and In Praise of Stay at Home Moms in '09. I'm thinking that's not really what you were talking about though, Rebecca.

I ought to read a biography. Any good recomendations?