Several years ago my next door neighbor and good friend taught me how to make rag quilts. Back then, I wasn’t much of a sew-er, but with her explanation and examples I was able to figure it out. The good thing about rag quilts is that you don’t have to know how to sew. You don’t have to be perfect in your measuring. If your seams are uneven it’s just fine. Maybe better even!
The first rag quilt I did, I used cotton fabric but not flannel. It worked fine, and is very cute but it didn’t get really shaggy. I made it for my son (and I think I made a matching one for my nephew).
After that I made a denim backed one out of old jeans and flannel for my brother-in-law and his new bride. It was hard to give away because it was so cute.
Then I bought different plaids in red and blue and made another denim backed blanket with the intention of giving it to my sister. It turned out so cute that I couldn’t give it away. Yep, I kept it:
Luckily, I had enough left over fabric that I was able to make her one too, although it was a teensy bit smaller than mine. :)
My sister is getting married this week. I made the invitations for the wedding and that was my wedding gift, but I want to eventually give everyone in my family a quilt (I made a non-rag-Holly-Hobby-quilt for another sister) so last week I headed to the fabric store and got the fabric to make this (I hope she isn’t reading!) :
Back view:
I love making these quilts. They come together quickly. It’s relaxing to sit with it on my lap and clip the edges. They are perfect for picnics. I love to make them with old pairs of jeans. I like to include squares with pockets for some variety. I think they look best when I use different washes of jeans – some light, some dark.
And, Elder Uchtdorf had it right when he said women should create. It’s so good for the self-esteem.
16 comments:
Those are so cool! I need to learn to make them, I love stuff like that.
I would have kept it too!
Amazing quilts...now I wish I was in your family so I could have one. ;)
Those are so stinkin' CUTE!!!!! I need a 'how to' post!!
I love those quilts and think rag quilts are the only kind I would have patience to make.
The plaid one is my favorite! Love it.
I love what you said about Elder Uchtdorf. I often think of him while I'm creating. It feeds my soul.
I LOVE your ideas -- they make me want to quilt!
I have to second Cecily. We need a "how to make these" post. :-)
THIS is exactly what I was thinking about yesterday. That I miss "creating" things and I thought of Elder Uchtdorf's talk. When I was down in CB last week my mom gave me a quilt top that my great grandmother had made and that my mom has been holding on to for all these years in an attempt to finish it. It spoke to me (I think i should blog about it, huh?) I brought it home and without having quilted a thing in my life I'm going to finish it. I think we need to plan a day for me to come to your house and we can hang out and you can give me pointers about quilting.
Your quilts are so nice. I especially love the one on top, as I used that rodeo fabric in a quilt a while back. What a great way to be creative and recycle like the pioneers!
Love them. Now to figure out how to join my family so I can get one! :)
those are beautiful! Nice work!
You are AMAZING. When do you have time for all this? They are all beautiful, and from the back it looks like all your seams ARE perfect!
Those are so cute! I have no talent in this area and I admire people who do.
Those are awesome! You so need to do a "how to" post so those of use who are sewing impaired can attempt to make one...
You quilt! Very nice. I wish I was a member of your family.
I third Cecily. A "how-to" post is definitely necessary. I have loads of old jeans I've been wanting to do something with...
Amanda, those are some seriously cute quilts!! I'm thinking that I need to keep the jeans that the guys will discard when summer starts! Denim is definitely my style! Good grief, woman, when do you have time to be so quilt-prolific??
Post a Comment