Thursday, March 13, 2008

In a funk...

I am feeling in a funk today (and yesterday). Why is it that routines work so well with kids? Especially my oldest. He flourishes under a routine and structure. Yet, the last few days routine is making me crazy. I feel like I do the same thing everyday:

I wake up each morning, get breakfast ready, prepare lunch for oldest, mark off his reading sheet, send him to the bus stop, check email, dress youngest, drive daughter to pre-school, come home, clean house, pick daughter up from pre-school, prepare lunch, clean up the kitchen, change youngest, put him in bed for a nap, check email, put youngest back in bed for his nap (because, inevitably, he gets up at least once to play or poop or something), prepare a snack for oldest and daughter, try to entertain/referee three kids until it is time to prepare dinner, eat dinner, clean up dinner, bathe kids, put kids in bed, watch tv, read, go to sleep. Sometimes I squeeze in some exercise, or time for crafty-ness.

Today I am tired of it. I am tired of making lunch. I am tired of changing diapers. I am tired of driving to and from preschool. I am tired of not having an excuse to get out of my sweats. I am tired of planning church lessons for my class of irreverent, obnoxious 8-9 year-olds (any suggestions for that? please oh please). I am tired of picking up the same toys. I am tired of folding the same clothes. And making the same dinners. And on and on.

I know that this is a feeling I just get once in a while. And I know that in a day or two, I will be over it, and I will be counting my blessings that I get to stay home and raise my kids.
My question is, how do I deal with this? How do you deal with this when it happens to you? Or, does it happen to you? Am I the only one?

8 comments:

Kelly said...

Absolutely not the only one! You are right, it comes in waves. Wish I had some great advice.

I was just thinking this morning when I made my 1 millionth PB&J, how can my son stand to have the same sandwich every single day? I remember reading a mom's comic book once that said "to shake things up, try putting the peanut butter on after the jelly!" Woot! Good times!

Cheryl said...

Don't hate me. It's called PMS. I deal with it monthly.

Okay, maybe not, but I totally know where you're coming from. If I don't have routine, I go nuts. If I do have routine, I go nuts. Some days, I will sit there and think (like others have before me) that if I have to make another meal, I will scream!!

How do I deal? I'm not sure. Change it up a little? Throw something into the daily grind that's unexpected; procrastinate a little on other things. Get a sitter and leave for the day (okay, I haven't actually had the guts to do that one).

Blog about it? :) That ALWAYS helps! Or just spend the entire day on the computer and ignore your children. I do that sometimes, too. ;)

Darilyn said...

Of course you aren't the only one. I have my funk days too. This Northwest weather turned rainy again and I know that has put me in my own kind of funk. cranky and mean! You can change up your routine a little. Pick an outing, like maybe a library trip telling them they can each pick out a couple of books and one movie to check out. Or if changing the routine doesn't work too well then make the routine slightly different. Perhaps have lunch on an old blanket or towels on the living room floor and call it a picnic. Just changing it a little will help . When it's sunny you can go to the park for playtime and lunch and you can take a book or magazine to read. I always loved those days when my kids were younger. It really helped me feel alive again.

Amanda D said...

Cheryl, I could never hate you! I don't think that it is PMS though...unless it happens a week and half or so after the fact. It could very well be hormones though.

Darilyn, it could be the weather. I was so disappointed to have the rain come back. I was loving the warm weather.

Kelly, I have those same thoughts every morning! It makes me wonder if Oldest eats his lunch or dumps in the trash. I mix it up with Spaghettio's once in a while though. Yes, he eats them cold. Always has.

Thanks for the advice! Sometimes, I just need to vent. You guys always come through for me. :)

Anonymous said...

You definately aren't alone. I crave change and variety. I was a flight attendant before I was a mom and I loved the way my schedule was ALWAYS different. I never knew where I would go or who I would be working with until the last minute. I miss that so much. My sister rearranges her furniture all the time to help her with this (she's a stay-at-home mom too). I do this a little, but mostly I redecorate or scrapbook...I've re-done my mantel countless times and I've already scrapped 55 pages since January. I am in a funk most of the winter and this one has been a long one.

Michelle said...

I know just how you feel. I think is a symptom of being a mom.

Cecily R said...

I'm with you!! On all of it (except my primary class is irreverent 7 and 8 year olds).

From what I know about you though, you are doing far better than I am at getting out of your funk!!

Mindy said...

I can totally identify with how you feel. I have the same kinds of days, where the routine seems unbearable. Funnily enough, though if I have a day where my routine is off and I don't want it to be, that makes me just as crazy too, lol!