During the week before Thanksgiving, I took the Jessica Sprague class called Holidays in Hand. It was great, because I was able to make a list of all the things I wanted to get done in December and plan out the month accordingly.
I printed a prompt card for each day of the month. On each card is a Christmas quote, a short writing assignment, a photography assignment, and a space for us to write in our own do and make assignment. I went through the month and wrote things in pencil ~ that way if plans change, I can erase the item and change it.
For example, on December 1 we were supposed to PHOTOGRAPH the whole family. Here is ours:
We were supposed to WRITE about the things we value pertaining to Christmas. Our family DO was to drink hot chocolate. Our family MAKE was originally snowflakes for the windows but my oldest (who is determined to be on Food Network Challenge someday) wanted to bake a cake, so we did that instead.
On the second, we read a specific article that Jessica gave us and were supposed to WRITE out our thoughts. We were to PHOTOGRAPH something warm. For our DO we listened to Christmas music while we MADE cards for grandparents.
On the third, we are to WRITE what the word “joy” means to us, and how it plays a part in our holidays. We are to PHOTOGRAPH something that means joy. Our DO is for me to go to the Relief Society Enrichment dinner. Our MAKE was going to be snowflakes but that will be erased and replaced with the cookies that I have been baking today for said Enrichment dinner.
Over the month, I’m sure that I will share some of the photos and writings and goings-on from the project. Some of them will be left in the computer in a Word document, and some will find their way on to the pages of a scrapbook.
The good thing about this project for me is that even if I don’t finish the rest of the pages, I will have planned out the month. I know when we are going to see the Christmas Ships. I know when we are going to see the lights at the zoo. I have planned a sledding and an ice skating trip ~ and those are things that if don’t get written down, often get forgotten. So, I recommend making a list of things you want to be sure to do, and plan them out on the calendar. I know which night I will make these heavenly cinnamon rolls for neighbors, and I know which day we’ll have breakfast for dinner.
What kind of things do you have planned for the month? What are you values for the Christmas season?
5 comments:
I love what you are doing. Such a cool idea. What am I doing for the month? Trying to take it in stride, meaning not to let my hectic life get in the way of feeling the joy that should be felt this time of year.
Wow that is really awesome! Our Christmas Eve is scheduled and full of traditions, but the rest of the month i just fly by the seat of my pants.
what a great plan! I love the quote on Dec.1. I have (had) it up in my entryway (before everything got packed...for no apparent reason : ).
Oh, yeah...and why does Tony have on his serious face?
He either had his mouth wide open or scowling. This one was the best of all of us. My 7 year old nephew was the photographer!
Post a Comment