Thursday, December 10, 2009

Feeling crafty? Christmas in a Nutshell

A few years ago the women in my family did an ornament exchange.  Each person brought enough of one ornament for each person to take one home.  My sister made one that is so perfect.  It’s simple, it’s cute, it’s good for kids, and it’s true!  It’s my 4-year-old’s favorite ornament on the whole tree.

 DSCN9895

The tag reads: Christmas in a nutshell ~ because that’s it.  Christmas is about the baby Jesus laying in a manger.

I’m here to show you how easy it is to make these.  First gather your supplies.  You will need: 1/2 of a walnut shell, 1/2 a cotton ball, small piece of felt, a wooden bead, hot glue gun, sharpie, and ribbon.

First, using the hot glue, attach the cord or ribbon on to the edges of the shell.  This will be what you hang the ornament from.

DSCN9869

Second, glue in the half cotton ball.

DSCN9870

Third, roll up the felt.  Glue one edge down.

DSCN9872

Fourth, glue the felt to the cotton ball, seam side down.  If it hangs to far off the edge, trim the end off.

DSCN9873

Fifth, tuck the wooden bead into the opening of the felt roll, and glue into place.

DSCN9874 DSCN9875

Sixth, add a dot of glue into the other end of the felt roll and press down.

DSCN9876

Seventh, add eyes.  Two dots alone look cute.  Or a sleeping baby face with eyes, a nose and a mouth.

DSCN9879

Eighth, add the label.  I printed my labels on address labels.  There were two on each label and I just cut them in half.  I printed “Christmas in a Nutshell” two times so it would show from both angles.

DSCN9880

DSCN9881

Now, you are done.  It’s so cute and makes the perfect top for a present or neighbor gift.  You can whip these out pretty quickly too and I promise, they will be a hit.  I got my wooden beads from Craft Warehouse.  I don’t remember what size they are, but there were eight in a package.  I can look up the size if someone really wants to know. :)

Now, go.  Create!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is very sweet!

FluffyChicky said...

That is very cute! I might have to make some for my tree.

Darilyn said...

Oh my goodness I love this. Thanks for sharing it. It's the perfect thing for a primary activity don't you think? Or even Activity Day! I love it.

Christie said...

So, so cute. Love it.

Katie Gee said...

Those are darling! And anything to bring Christ back into Christmas is great!