My sister is getting married in a couple of weeks. The last wedding we went to the bride and groom (Bryan’s brother) asked us to wear all black. So, I bought a nice dress that I felt good in and wore it. I think I’ve worn it twice since then (another wedding and a black-tie dinner when Bryan’s dad got an award at a business dinner). I figured that I would wear it to my sister’s wedding but decided to see what she thought. She doesn’t want me to wear all black; and I’ve gained a little weight since then so I’m not sure if it fits, so I need something else to wear.
For church, I wear one of my multiple skirts and a shirt almost every week. I want a dress – not a skirt, shirt combo so this morning I went to the Dress Barn outlet by my house. Really, who names their store The Dress Barn? I’m not sure I want to wear something from a barn, but I know that they are pretty reasonable price-wise and they have a pretty good selection of sizes and styles.
I arrived right when they opened and looked through the dresses. I chose out three to try on. The clerk then joked that pretty soon I would need a mule.
I was confused by that but I smiled a little anyway.
Then she said, “You can always tell a country girl.”
What the heck is that supposed to mean?
True, I was blaring the local country station on the radio in the car but there is no way they knew that from inside the store. They might have seen me drinking a Diet Coke but I think some pretty ‘hip’ people drink that too. Since she said that I have been trying to figure out what she meant. I admit that I am not stylish or fashionable. If it’s not comfortable, I’m not wearing it.
So, tell me, am I “country”?
I had my daughter take a picture of me so you could see what I look like but I hate pictures that show more than just my shoulders and head so I am not posting and will tell you what I look like instead. I was (am) wearing a pale blue tee-shirt underneath my gray waffle weave jacket that was zipped about half way. I had on jeans (boot cut, dark denim), and I had my tennis shoes on. They weren’t tied. I don’t tie my shoes. I’m lazy like that. My hair was down and curly and still damp – it’s curly and takes about six hours to dry. I was carrying my pink purse with white piping and white handles. I think it’s cute but maybe it screams “country.”
I tried to find images of the dresses I tried on but the store’s website isn’t too great and I can’t find any pictures on ebay.
One was a brown skirt with different colored polka dots and a matching green jacket, but I quickly learned that it looked better on the hanger than on a person. One was white with flowers – big and blue – and it had a matching blue sweater shrug and a blue ribbon at the waist;I liked it buy they didn’t have my size. And the last was a tea length dress with a white skirt with some black embroidery, and the top was black with a square neck and a black shrug. I liked it but it was $60 and I’m not sure I’m willing to pay that much (because I’m hoping to keep losing weight and not stay in this size for too long).
Where else should I look? Any stores you recommend?
13 comments:
That's a super weird comment based on your description of said dresses.
Some people just lack tact.
I agree with Julie - the sales girl's appropriate gene was in the recessive position today.
I love Kohl's. I've found some cute stuff at the Dress Barn before (and Nathan always makes fun of the name, which I have to admit I do not get, either). And I like Macy's, when I stick to the sales racks. I haven't been in there for quite some time, but their sales racks can hide some really good deals. Good luck!!
Well, Dress Barn is usually the one place I can find something! They can be a bit pricey though. I'd suggest Kohl's. And, believe it or not, I've found cute things at Volde Mart. If you don't want to spend a great deal that might be the ticket for a one time dress.
Interesting that someone who works at the Dress BARN would say something about being COUNTRY. Plus, she was completely rude and it was absolutely inappropriate. Not that there's anything wrong with "country" per se, but the combination of Mule and Country and Smirking...it was just rude, rude, rude.
Glad you ignored it (and don't worry --you look fine!).
I do know Target has nice things from time to time, btw...
I just don't get it? What is it about trying on three dresses that makes you country? Baffled.
Here, here for Target and Kohls.
Stay away from the crazy at Dress Barn.
I heart Kohls!
No...you're not "country" that was just weird. I think you've had some good suggestions from the commenters on other places to look. One of my other favorite places to look is online at Coldwater Creek (http://www.coldwatercreek.com). Go to the home page and then click on the Outlet tab and you can begin looking. They have some cute summery dresses right now that are under $30 (Normally $80 or so). Best of luck!!
Can't help you with dresses...I am so NOT a dress person. I wear one if I have to, otherwise forget it, lol. As for the sales girl, no clue what she meant but I don't see you as a country girl.
When it comes to dresses I've had good luck at Macey's at the sale rack.
I CAN'T believe she said that. I always come up with a witty retort hours after the moment has passed.
No tips on dresses; my purchases are few and far between!
I read this a couple days ago, and for some reason it's been sticking with me. (yeah, I've been reading, just not commenting anywhere!)
I think maybe she was complementing you. I'm guessing that she considered herself a country girl (I mean, who talks about mules??) and thought she recognized a kindred soul.
When I think of a Country Woman (not a hick!) as someone that is sweet, kind, charming, independent and strong of spirit. Someone who values home and family more than...say getting her nails done at the mall.
I could be wrong, but it's possible that she wasn't refering to what you were wearing, but the inner you. (Not that I've ever met you in real life, but you come across as a "real", and very down to earth person. And in my book, that's a good thing)
As for a dress, well...I hate shoppping!
My new blog URL is: http://www.shoresend.blogspot.com/
Come on by and read my tale of dealing with Google for my .com addy.
I also think whe was complimenting you. Lots of us country folk (though I think of myself as more of a mountain man) think of those big city people as shallow and phony but I know that is as bad a stereotype as what a lot of big city people think about hicks like me.
Post a Comment