Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Our Snow Day (in pictures)

Sunday morning started at 7:30 when a man from church called to tell us that meetings had been cancelled because of the snow.  This is what it looked like out the front door at 9:00:

 004

We had to laugh because in Utah, church wouldn’t have been cancelled for this.  And, Cheryl is right… we Oregonians are wimps, apparently. 

My kids were all excited about the snow. Oh, who are we kidding?  I was all excited about the snow too.  We bundled up and went outside to play:

005

This is my oldest shoveling the sidewalk.  He also shoveled the grass, the gutter, the neighbors drive way and the road in order to make a big pile.

011

The first time we went out my youngest refused to turn around.  He kept begging for glasses.  This was because there were 30+ mph winds blowing the snow around and it kept getting in his eyes.

My two youngest were back inside after about five minutes (if that) and enjoying this:

016

which is the real reason any of the kids wanted to go outside to begin with, according to Bryan.

We bundled the kids up about six more times and they went out to play.  I went out once (and outlasted them all!) to help with the sledding:

024

025

027

We enjoyed out “snow day”… we played outside, watched movies, played games, sat by the fire and enjoyed each other.

Monday school was cancelled even though we didn’t get anymore snow.  It has been cold though.  With the wind blowing non-stop it has felt like 0-8 degrees (according to weather.com).  Today school was delayed two hours with no a.m. kindergarten.  The kids have one more day of school and then they are off for winter break.  I’m a little worried how we will keep ourselves entertained that long.

I love the snow!  I love that we got to play in it, and watch it.  It feels a little more like Christmas that way.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Yeah! We got some snow too. I just love it!! It's nice to have a friend that loves the snow as much as I do. :)

Anonymous said...

it cracks me up you had church canceled. For goodness sakes! How fun for the kids (and moms, too), though. I love the snow!

Bridget said...

Yes, it is funny. But in a state that doesn't sand roads or own snow plows, you do what you have to do. We were so happy church was canceled. I am getting tired of school being canceled though! Still no school here tomorrow.

Marchezt said...

How fun for you guys...it snowed here in Vegas on Tuesday and you would have thought the world stopped. People go crazy here when in snows. Doesn't happen much.

Kaedance was excited and it's nice to see every once in awhile.

Desi said...

Too funny!

Back when I lived in snow country (Utah and Idaho) the only time I remember church being cancelled was because it had snowed so much the night before that the snow was higher than the bumper on my SUV. I think it was like two and a half feet within eight hours. We got ready and being that we couldn't get the car out we put on snow boots and started hoofing it, until word got to us halfway down the street that church had been canceled. My daughter was 4 or 5 at the time the snow was waist deep for her. Awe, memories!

Mindy said...

No snow for us. In fact it's supposed to be 70 tomorrow and Friday. I was wanting snow but actually I am ok with the warm days because itmeans we can go outside to play.

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

We have snow now too, and I'm finally feeling Christmasy. I never thought that a Desert Rat from Vegas like me would need snow to welcome winter, but I guess that's what 7 years in Utah did to me!