Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Christmas 2006

During the Christmas season of 2006 my family and I went to see Temple Square.  It is absolutely breath-taking at Christmas.  I remember going as a child and being in awe of all the lights that twinkled from every direction.  For a few years, it seemed like they didn’t do as many lights, but the last few times that we went, I was  thoroughly impressed. 

Here are some photos from that trip that I thought I would share:

Another year (maybe the same one, I don’t remember, honestly) we went to Temple Square right after Thanksgiving and while my brother and sister-in-law watched the little kids, we adults and big kids watched the movie about Christ in the Joseph Smith building.  It was the story of His life, and it was hard to watch the crucifixion, but it was such a great reminder of the real reason for the Christmas season.  A good reminder of the miracles that still happen. 

As we’ve gone through this holiday season, I have tried to think of ways to keep Christ in our Christmas.  With little kids it is harder than it probably should be.  They are excited about the presents and Santa, which is understandable.  They know the songs about Rudolph, Santa coming down the chimney and Jingle Bells, but when I sat down at the piano and “played” Silent Night, I realized my kids don’t know that song.  How do they not?   It’s making me rethink my cd selection. :) 

So, what do you do at Christmas to help kids remember the real reason for the season?

4 comments:

mahina said...

those are seriously gorgeous!

we always do the nativity and "dress up" as we read in luke 2. we also make it a point to serve others and talk about the reason we celebrate christmas. one christmas tradition that we have is to watch ben-hur. that may seem strange, but it's something that we look forward to and the girls really enjoy it.

Bridget said...

I lived in the bay area as a teenager. We would always go to the Oakland temple to see the Christmas lights and nativity. Your photos are beautiful.

Anonymous said...

That 2nd picture needs to be framed. Just incredible. That's my favorite building on the square.

Mindy said...

Those are amazing pictures!