Thursday, December 18, 2008

A Few Christmas Faves

Quite frankly, I can’t believe that Christmas is less than a week away.  It really seems to have crept up on.  How that happens when it has been on the calendar all year, and I look at the calendar about a million times a day,  I don’t know.  But, it did.  Suddenly, Christmas is almost here.

So, before I share some of my Christmas faves, I need some of yours.  I want to get my kids some books for Christmas.  Do you have any favorites that are aimed at 7-year-old boys, 5-year-old girls and 3-year-old boys?  Any that are great for them to read on their own or for me to read to them?  I hope to raise three readers, so I need to encourage that by giving them books. Right?

***

07d5_2 Songs: My favorite songs for the Christmas season change each year.  Some years they are the fun Santa type songs, some years they are religious, spiritual songs.  This year my favorite albums are instrumental.  Perhaps because my kids are loud and crazy that the peace and quietness of instrumental music is speaking to me more.

I love the Mormon Hymn Classics Christmas with the The London National Philharmonic Orchestra and a Christmas Classics Piano that I picked up at Shop-ko years ago for $7.

51jhxZbfE0L__SL160_AA115_ 61HwIfM690L__SL160_AA115_61VS8HA379L__SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU01_AA115_ Books: This year I read A Christmas Pearl by Dorothea Buxton, and I was inspired by it.  My favorite kids ones are Bear Stays Up for Christmas by Karma Wilson, Christmas in the Manger by Nola Buck and When Jesus Was Born in Bethlehem which is illustrated by Joseph Brickey and includes words directly from the bible. This is what we read on Christmas Eve.  This year my youngest has had me reading Moosletoe a lot.

21L3jLZrXSL__SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU01_AA115_ Recipes: My favorite Christmas treat are homemade caramels.  This year mine turned out exceptionally well.  I used the 30 minute Caramels recipe from Candymaking  by Ruth Kendrick.  Here is the recipe:

30 Minute Caramels

1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk

1 1/2 cups light corn syrup

1 cup granulated sugar

1 cup firmly packed brown sugar

1/2 cup butter

1/4 tsp salt

Butter a 9″ square baking pan and set aside.  In a heavy 4 qt saucepan, combine milk, corn syrup, sugars, butter and salt.  Place over medium heat and stir with a wooden spoon until mixture comes to a boil.

Clip on candy thermometer.  Stir constantly to prevent scorching, cook to 240F or soft-ball stage.  Pour into prepared pan.  Cool until firm.  Cut into 1 inch square.  Makes 81 pieces.

Tips: Use a HEAVY knife to cut the caramels.  Place an ice pack underneath to keep them cool while cutting.  Waiting 24 hours will help make cutting them easier.

***

I am planning on making these cinnamon rolls for neighbors too.  Don’t you wish you lived by me?

Other: I love to play in the snow.  I love to watch my kids open their presents.  I love the tradition we have of playing Christmas Bingo every Christmas Eve.  I love watching Frosty the Snowman and The Polar Express and The Santa Clause.  I love making and sending Christmas cards.  I really love getting Christmas cards.

Your turn: What are you favorites of the season?  What books do you suggest?

Images from ebay and amazon.

5 comments:

Kelly said...

Mmm, I love recommending books!

These are my boys' favorites from that era:

The Fudge books by Judy Blume, Super Fudge, Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing...

I Freddy, by Dietlof Reiche and Joe Cepeda (those aren't easy names to type!): I Freddy is the first in a series about a hampster. Might be a little old for a 7 year old, haven't read them myself but they are the rage among my 3rd grade neighbors so maybe you should read aloud or preview.

Diary of Wimpy Kid is another series. Can't think of the author.

The 5 year old daughter, that's harder, my 5 year old is still quite young and immature and happy to read Dora.

My favorite way to find books for my children's tastes is to type in a book they loved at Amazon then scroll down to the "Customers who liked this also like this..." portion of the page.

mmmm, I love books!

Anonymous said...

Hey no books yet. But I'll think on it. I did get your Christmas card today though. And I wish I was eating one of those caramels.

Every Christmas I have to go to my inlaws feels like a Christmas lost to me. So I haven't gotten too into it this year.

Anonymous said...

Yes, it would be fun to live closer - and not just for the treats!

Ginna said...

I DO wish I lived near you! For more reasons than just cinnamon rolls :)
As far as books go, we have a ton we love here at our house. They're mostly more for 3 & 4 yr olds.
"Little Pea" is a perennial favorite, so is "A Boy and his Bunny" and "A girl and her Gator"
One that I LOVE to read outloud is call "One Duck Stuck"
It is so fun. An old classic that I used to love is call "Caps for Sale"
So I hope that's enough recommendations for you! :)

Mindy said...

I love children's books. For the little ones I like the Mercer Mayer stories, my faves are "I Was So Mad" and "Just Go To Bed". As the kids got older I loved Shel Siverstein's "Where The Sidewalk Ends" and "The Giving Tree". Also we are big fans of the Junie B. Jones series. Hilarious!

We got your Christmas card in the mail yesterday and it was just gorgeous. You did a great job!! Also the pic was so nice. You have a beautiful family.

Merry Christmas!