Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Things to Love About Oregon

When I wrote my post about the things I miss about Utah, I promised that I would post about the things I enjoy about Oregon. So, here goes.

Mt. Hood - On clear days, we have a pretty good view of it if we drive to the right spot. It is beautiful and it is amazing how it just shoots up out of the low landscape. We drove to it a few Sunday's ago and it looks like there are some good lakes for rafting, and some good places to camp and hike and get away from the city.
Bridges & Trains : I love all the bridges in downtown as well. I love to drive over them, and I really could stand on the water front in Portland and just look at them. I also enjoy how the trains run along the freeway. This comes in very handy with two cranky boys in the car. :)
Mild Weather : I am truly enjoying the mild weather as well. It is part way through July and we just turned the AC on. We had to turn it on once in May, and maybe twice in June. I wasn't crazy about the winter weather, but the spring, summer and fall can't be beat. Although, I'm not crazy about the humidity either, but it does make my hair curl nicely!

The Zoo : I always like the Hogle zoo back in Utah, and I think that it is better laid out that the Oregon Zoo, but I think that the selection of animals is better at the Oregon zoo. And the kids get to have their hands stamped when we leave and they love that.
No Need to Pump Gas : In Oregon, it is against the law to pump your own gas. I love this! I'm sure that after a couple of years, I wont remember how to do it anymore. Gas doesn't seem to be much more expensive than other places (depending on the town, of course) and for the most part it doesn't take too much extra time.
Flowers : There are flowers in Utah, but I love the variety of flowers that I have seen here. They bloom for along time due to the mild weather, I think. I had flowers blooming in December. This is a rose from our backyard:
No Sales Tax : In Oregon there is NO sales tax. I love this! Something from the dollar menu at Burger King is really only $1. Wonderful!

Green-space & Parks : There are a lot of parks around. We have three within walking distance of our house. And there is so much green space and trails around. It is fun for evening walks.

The Beach : We aren't far from the beach, and it is nice to escape for the day. It isn't too far for an afternoon of playing in the sand and dipping the toes into the icy water. This shot is of Rockaway Beach...my favorite is Cannon Beach.


Waterfalls : There are a lot of waterfalls with in short driving distance to explore. Some short hikes, and some longer ones. It is beautiful and awe-inspiring.

The things I miss the most about Utah are the people. The family and the friends that we left behind. I like Oregon, and I hope that someday soon this will feel like home.

What are your favorite things about where you live?


8 comments:

Darilyn said...

This post put a smile on my face. It was a good reminder of why I call Oregon my home. Little things that I don't even think about. That picture of the rose is great.

Michelle said...

Oregon sounds beautiful. I am so glad you came up with so many positive things to say about where you live. I visited Oregon once in 2004. We went to Depoe Bay and besides the wind, I thought it was perfect. This makes me want to visit again.

Anonymous said...

Sounds heavenly. Portland was one of our top two choices when we were ready to leave California. Too bad DH's work didn't agree.

mahina said...

i love all those things too! these are all of the things i will miss when we leave, however, i WON"T miss the rain!

Cheryl said...

Okay, that's it. Now I have to come visit you! OR sounds wonderful...

Jeanette said...

We could actually see Mt. St. Helen's from our place when we lived in Portland. And we just had to drive a little down the street to see Mt. Hood.
Portland is my husband's hometown and he was reading over my shoulder when I read this and then said "See. We need to move back."
I am not so sure...

Marchezt said...

I love this post! I've never been to Oregon but really makes me want to visit...maybe one day!! I need to copy this on my blog.

Janelle said...

I love Oregon. It is so beautiful there, my husband and I would love to retire there. Retire, hmmm I doubt that will ever happen. Stupid me thought I had you on google reader and I wondered why you weren't posting. I'll fix that. Sorry I haven't been commenting because of my mixup.
-Janelle