In just three weeks, it will be Thanksgiving. How in the world is it that time all ready?
This year, we’re staying home. We stayed home last year too. I really wish we were headed to Utah to be with extended family but it doesn’t make sense to spend twenty-four-hours in the car for a three day stay.
We’ve started our Thankful door, but this year I cut out the letters to read “Our Blessings”. It’s filling up a little more slowly this year, but that’s okay. I think by Thanksgiving it will be a fun collection of leaves (blessings).
I really need to plan a menu and grocery lists. My husband would like to eat pizza on Thanksgiving. I can’t imagine Thanksgiving with out turkey, mashed potatoes, deviled eggs and pumpkin pie, however. {Side question: Is there a way to make just ONE pumpkin pie?}
My plan is to get our Christmas tree that weekend. I am hosting book club the Tuesday after Thanksgiving and I think it would be fun to have the house all decorated and smelling like Christmas.
I hope to go out on Black Friday and get some good deals in the craziness that is that day. (I quite enjoy it!) I have an idea of what to get for my oldest son, and something I think my youngest son would like but I’m not sure how practical it is. I need to come up with something for my daughter. She asks for the same two impossible things every birthday and Christmas. We’re scaling back what we do this year – one gift (plus stockings filled) for each child from Santa, and one gift from their mom and dad.
I read in Woman’s Day about a ten week holiday plan, and I wish I had started with it a couple of week’s ago. I guess, I should create and start a seven week holiday plan today.
What are your holiday plans? What do you eat traditionally on Thanksgiving? Do you like to shop on Black Friday? When will you decorate for Christmas?
11 comments:
We are getting our tree Thanksgiving weekend as well since Chris will be out of town the following weekend. I'm just hoping it stays alive until Christmas. I hate dead trees. We are heading to Eugene and Sweet Home for Thanksgiving. I'm looking forward to it.
On Thanksgiving we must have Turkey, Rolls, Stuffing, Potatoes & Gravy, and 7 layer salad. Pretty much the same for Christmas too. Otherwise it is just not the same.
For Thanksgiving we usually go to The In-Laws. For Christmas we have it at my house with my family.
I find the deals I want on Black Friday and then I send The Husband out to get them.
I decorate for Christmas on December 1st and I leave some of the stuff up (winter themed items) until February when I get out the Valentine's day things.
I cannot believe how the year has flown by too!
I think you guys should go to the beach with us on Thanksgiving. We sleep in, drive there mid-morning, play on the beach, go for clam chowder, then come home. You could go for pizza while we do clam chowder! We could do a turkey dinner anytime : )
I've never cooked a Thanksgiving dinner and haven't had a traditional one since I got married. Thanksgiving is the best weather for camping in Texas so we go camping every year. No one in my family would eat the big meal anyway so why bother? Turkey jerkey and dried cranberries it is.
This year we are driving 36 hours (that's round trip) for a 48 hour stay at my sisters. Bleh. But it will be worth it and something different.
I think you are crazy to not take the beach date invitation. That's my kind of holiday!
My parents are coming for Thanksgiving this year, and my brother will be here, since he's going to school in SLC. I'm excited. Thanksgiving is a dinner that's not intimidating for me, so as long as I'm not uber sleep deprived, I hope it's fun.
Christmas? We decorate the day after Thanksgiving!! One of my fave days of the year. But this year we're going to the Rockettes (!!!!!) that day, so it might have to wait until Saturday.
Pumpkin pie: I like making it, but this year am going the Costco route. It's cheap @ $5.99, big (fab for leftovers!), really yummy, and already DONE. I do need to think of one more non-pumpkin dessert since my dad doesn't like pumpkin. Ideas?
And black friday? It was a huge deal before I was a mom. With each year that passes, though, I try to have everything bought before Thanksgiving. I'm already done except stockings.
AND - sorry this is so long - I have to say I really love your Christmas idea of gifts. Each year I want to tone things down, and each year I don't. I really think your way is what I'm going to suggest to my husband for next year.
I usually only make one pumpkin pie. You can use the Libby's 15oz can and follow the recipe on the label. And unless you make your own crust you might have to buy 2 frozen ones. You could try this crust recipe. I tried it the other day and couldn't believe that it was sooooo flaky!
Pie Crust
1 Cup Flor
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
5 T. butter
2 1/2 T. boiling water
Measure all the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Cut in butter until pea sized. Make a well in the center and pour in boiling water. Blend together with a fork until flour is moistened and dough holds together. Roll out between two sheets of wax paper or parchment paper. (For a double crust, just double the recipe.)
You're probably thinking boiling water? I know! That's what I was thinking. After I blended it with a fork and before I rolled it out, I had to let it sit in the bowl on the counter for about 10 minutes. I think that might have make it more flaky....but I don't know for sure. I was talking to the lady that gave me the recipe and she said that it usually doesn't turn out very flaky for her and if you want a flaky crust you have to use the cold water recipes. But it was flaky for me! Also, the original recipe called for 1/2 shortening and 1/2 butter, but I didn't have any shortening so I just used all (5 Tablespoons) butter. Maybe that's what made it more flaky. The pie crust didn't crumble at all when I was rolling it out and I liked that.
Anyway! I'm doing my own thanksgiving meal this year too. I've never done it before but it's going to be simple and so yummy. a small turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn, pumpkin pie, and chocolate pudding pie. Oh! And rolls. LOTS of rolls so we can fill the leftover rolls with the leftover turkey.
As far as decorating for Christmas? I'll probably do that next week! I love getting my Christmas decorations out early. Happy Thanksgiving!!!
First, I love your font.
Now,
I can't believe the holidays are approaching so quickly. It's freaking me out a little.
I did Black Friday a few times, but I couldn't hack it. I'm a shopping wimp, I guess, and love to sleep in.
Um, what else? I love traditional Thanksgiving dinner and wouldn't be able to have it any other way. Could you spend it with some ward friends or neighbors? That would solve the multiple pie issue nicely. :)
I am totally stealing your idea. Starting today, we will have a thankful door. Thanks for reminding me. I remember reading it last year and thinking it was a great idea, but I had forgotten. Good thing it isn't too late!
Loving the thankful door idea!
Just awesome.
Our families are both close, so we always celebrate the holidays with them.
Black Friday gives me a head ache. I wish it didn't. Once upon a time I loved to shop.
I say you must do the whole Thanksgiving feast. It only happens once a year!
We scaled back on Christmas a few years back. It's a good thing to do. We do one present from Santa and one from us as well. Then stocking stuffers. With all they get from Grammy and Papa they don't feel deprived and we don;t end up with so many things that we really don't need. Scaling back also means more thoughtful gifts as well. I like that part.
We are never consistent with when we get our tree. We are known to be at Home Depot the week before Christmas. Not cool. Last year we were so on the ball and took the kids to cut down a tree several weeks before Christmas. I am hoping this year to make that same thing happen!
I'm really dreading Thanksgiving this year. It will just be our immediate family unless we brave the pass (which scares this CA girl to no end!)And probably no turkey as nearly everyone has gone vegetarian. I need my traditional people-filled, traditional foods holiday!
Sorry, I didn't really mean to whine on your blog...I guess I found a sore spot. I don't know how to delete it so just close your eyes, K?
Post a Comment