Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving

I totally love that my kids are getting older. 

Thanksgiving was absolutely fabulous.  We played games {Settlers of Catan, Pictureka, Life on the Farm, Wii Sports}, made cute place cards with the youngest, had fabulous food*, enjoyed a walk through the neighborhood, watched The Polar Express and did a Mary Engelbreit Christmas puzzle.  It was such a great day.

Friday, I hit Target early (but not THAT early – about 7:00), we had breakfast, played some Wii bowling and then went to see TangledTangled was BY FAR the best kids movie I’ve seen in a long time.  I absolutely LOVED it.

11 25 10_3863The place cards the 5-year-old and I made.  He wrote everyone’s name on it as well as “YAY!”  I cute out his hand, some feathers and he decorated them.  They turned out great, and he was so excited about it.

*The food:

Bryan brined our turkey breast using this recipe and it was moist, flavorful and delicious. 

I made mashed potatoes and added cauliflower in.  I couldn’t taste the cauliflower and they were good.  Basically, I boiled 1.5 pounds of potatoes with a glove of garlic, then steamed a half head of cauliflower.  After that, I combined the potatoes, garlic, and cauliflower in the mixer with 1/2 cup buttermilk, salt and pepper.  They were great.

Instead of pumpkin pie, I served the pumpkin fluff.  It was good.  It could go in a graham cracker crust and be good. I had mine with broken up ginger snaps and it was tasty.  I didn’t miss the pumpkin pie. 

We decided that we wont do stuffing next year – Bryan likes it and my daughter wants to like it but no point making it for one person to eat.  We also had green salad (I think I’m the only one that had any), fruit salad, homemade rolls, deviled eggs, gravy, and a veggie tray with carrots, cauliflower, celery, pickles and olives.

Next up for the weekend: Watching Robin Hood, getting our Christmas tree and decorating the house for the most wonderful time of year and church Sunday morning.

3 comments:

Jocelyn said...

The day sounds WONDERFUL! So glad you had an enjoyable time.

And we talked about taking our kids to Tangled today, but we didn't get around to it. We're planning to, though!

troutdalite said...

love your reviews of all. glad you guys have so much fun together!!

Darilyn said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful thanksgiving, I'm glad!