I’ve been writing up a storm lately. I had plans to share some of that with you instead of this drivel, but then I woke up with a slight fever and a sore throat. Plus the kids are home today and tomorrow so I’m not up to being thoughtful. That will have to wait.
Today is Veteran’s Day. I’m so grateful for those that have served our country. My dad was (is?) a Marine, and my Bryan was in the Air Force. I’m so honored to be a part of their lives. I know the military makes great sacrifices for us and I’m so appreciative.
For book group this month we are read Pride and Prejudice. It was my choice. If only I could go back a year and take that choice back. If only. I have read it once (years ago) and I enjoyed it. But this time. I swear. I can. not. get into it. Maybe I’ll just watch the A&E version that happy meets crazy Cheryl sent me a couple years ago. It follows the book pretty closely right? I’m sure I can find some discussion questions on the internet and fake it. {If you come to book group and are reading this…ignore this paragraph, please.} I wont give up on the book yet. I’ll keep trying because I remember feeling this way when I read it the first time too.
Speaking of book club. We need to plan out our books for next year. Any great book suggestions for us to read in 2011? It seems like most of the books we read are liked by all. I think it might be fun to read a book that not everyone likes so that there is some different type discussions.
I haven’t picked up my camera in a couple of weeks. Which explains the lack of autumn pictures here on the blog. I feel like I’ve had too much to do to play much. But you know? I’m okay with that. It’s been a good type of busy for the most part. Also, autumn hasn’t seemed as vibrant here as autumn has in the past. Not sure why.
I’m doing Weight Watchers (again) and am thinking about Thanksgiving dinner. I get twenty-six points a day. At the meeting yesterday, I calculated that my Thanksgiving dinner will be eighteen points not including dessert. I love pumpkin pie. Did you know that ONE slice of pumpkin pie (1/8th of a 9” pie) is NINE points?
I have realized that A) I would not be able to stop at ONE piece of pumpkin pie and B) one piece is not worth nine points to me. So, I’m thinking of making this instead:
Pumpkin Fluff
2 cups canned pumpkin 3 tsp ground cinnamon 1 cup skim milk
1 box (4 servings) fat-free, sugar-free instant vanilla pudding 8 oz fat-free whipped topping
Instructions:
Blend pumpkin with dry pudidng mix, spices and milk. Fold in whipped topping, chill. 1 cup is a serving. (I’ll be making mine with 1% milk and according to the recipe builder, divided five ways [since I have no idea how much it makes] it will be 3 points).
I may get some ginger snaps to crumble up on top too. My kids don’t like pie and Bryan would rather eat apple pie so the pumpkin pie wont be missed. What are you going to serve for Thanksgiving? The rest of my meal includes: turkey, rolls, mashed potatoes and gravy, veggies, salad, fruit, and deviled eggs. YUM.
6 comments:
The "fluff" sounds interesting. I'd add more spices though, nutmeg, ginger maybe a touch of cardamon...but that's just me...the one who doesn't even like pumpkin pie!
Feel better soon, being sick stinks especially when your little ones are all home.
I am not a big fan of Jane Austen. I believe I've read all of her novels and the only one I really enjoyed was Persuasion. That's a good read. (But, I admire those who do like her books.) I just finished a very thought-provoking book that would make a great book club pick: The Bridge of San Luis Ray. Maybe that will work?
I felt the same about reading P&P again. That's why the zombie version. Don't know if I'll get it done in time, though.
I LOVE pumpkin filling, but not the crust. I saw these jars of pie and want to do them. Your recipe sounds good. Have you tried Pumpkin Smoothies. YUM! very few points probably. I like to drink it for breakfast Thanksgiving morning. I'm the only one : )
http://inchmark.squarespace.com/inchmark/2010/10/18/potted-pumpkin-pies.html
Bonus points Amanda. Bonus points. Is it still 35?
P&P is awesome, but sometimes you just need to be in the right frame of mind. Watch Colin Firth and call it all good.
Books: Lady in Waiting by Susan Meissner, A Season of Miracles by Rusty Whitener, She Walks in Beauty by Siri Mitchell.
I am going to have to try that pumpkin fluff. It sounds really tasty!
And watching Colin Firth is definitely the way to go when dealing with P&P!
My book club just read 'The Trunk Murderess', which is actually a real-life account of a woman in Phx prosecuted for killing two other women. It made for a great read in October.
Post a Comment