Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Western Salsa

My neighbor gave me a bag of peppers from her garden.  There were green bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, and a pepper I had never heard of:

the Serrano pepper. 

She told that Serrano peppers aren’t used for much other than salsa, so I dug out my handy-dandy blender cookbooks, and searched for a recipe that called for fresh tomatoes and Serrano peppers. 

I found a couple recipes that I used the peppers with but the recipe that called for the Serrano pepper made the best homemade salsa that I’ve ever made.  I even used cilantro.  (I’m not sure how I feel about the smell of that stuff.)

Western Salsa

10 19 10_3437

6 ripe tomatoes – quartered

1/4 cup fresh cilantro

1/2 medium onion – cut in half

1 tsp fresh lemon juice (I used bottled)

1 Serrano chili pepper

1 tsp cider vinegar (I used distilled white)

1 tsp salt

Place ingredients in blender jar as listed and secure the lid.  Press the pulse button 10-15 times.  You may have to lift the jar and shake the contents and pulse again.  I like my salsa runny, so I pulsed 15-20 times. 

Recipe from the Blendtec Recipe Book for the world’s best blender.

4 comments:

Darilyn said...

I'm glad you met the Serrano pepper. It's my favorite, always has been. One of my favorite meals is Chicken Serrano. Cook some chicken with tomatoes and serrano peppers and eat it with fresh tortillas and beans and rice. My mouth is watering. Your salsa looks really good and if I had been there we would have had to double it.

Jocelyn said...

Cilantro is my fave herb. The smell makes me so happy! And I love serrano peppers, too!
Ooooh, homemade salsa -- is there anything better????

Tonya said...

I LOVE fresh, homemade salsa and I adore serrano peppers and cilantro! My sister thinks cilantro smells and tastes like soap...weird, huh?

Susie said...

I'm one of the few people I know that that can't stand peppers of any sort. My husband on the other hand...

Tonya, I completely agree with your sister. I think the same way about green tea as well.