I worry that one day my kids will think back on their elementary school years and all that they will remember about me is that I yelled. I really try not to yell, but getting these kids up and out the door on time (which is insanely early, in my opinion) is near impossible. I put my kids in bed early at night. I get them up an hour before they need to leave for the bus. Yet every morning, it’s the same thing: Start eating! Stop goofing off! Brush your teeth! Come on! Now! Leave him alone!
I hope they’ll think about how I sometimes made them a hot breakfast. Sometimes we danced to their favorite songs from Glee. Sometimes, I gave in a drove them to school when it was pouring rain. I hope they’ll remember that I always checked their backpacks, had snacks ready to take to school and was up with them every morning even though there were days that I just wanted to be in my warm bed.
---
I haven’t done a lot of hair over the last few years, but I have done some. I haven’t done a perm in a probably four years (I don’t have a lot of elderly clients). Then in the last four days? I’ve done two. Maybe curls are coming back?
---
The NBA season has officially started at our house. I’m a Jazz fan through and through, but I’m liking the Blazers a little more each season. I find myself quite excited to watch games with the husband, and the 9-year-old. The Blazers started tonight against the Phoenix Suns and we are letting the oldest child stay up late to watch. Good thing there’s no school tomorrow! We get to watch the Jazz play on TNT on Thursday. Woo-hoo! Go team, go!
6 comments:
The game last night was really good. Dancing to songs from Glee is awesome, they will definitely remember that. We have the same problem around here getting out the door in the morning. Only we have that problem with only one of our kiddos. What has helped her is having her lay out her clothes the night before and packing up her backpack the night before. She is in middle school so the "picking out the outfit" part seems to take FOREVER. So maybe that advice will not apply in your household, but it helps around here.
I don't know if you wanted ideas...but here's mine: My three (who are close in ages to yours) have the same issues in the morning. The only thing that comes close to working for us (and it only works for the older two) is to provide a set time that I want them ready (usually 10 minutes before they need to be out the door) and give them an incentive to be ready at that time. I set the timer so they can manage their time. As for the incentive, in our house we have a token-reward system for doing chores and stuff where they can earn things like extra computer time. So if they are ready when the timer goes off, they get a token. My nine year old really gets into that. And like I said, I set the timer for ten minutes before we actually have to leave so that there is still time to help the stragglers. :)
Anyway, on the non-advice side of it, I sure as heck hope my kids remember the dancing, driving, and snacks more than the yelling...
PS-Go Jazz!
I used to get perms when I was in elementary school. I always envisioned myself to be getting these long, curly locks...kind of like what Nicole Kidman's hair used to look like, but much more relaxed. What I always ended up with was something like Little Orphan Annie. So embarassing.
And go Jazz!!
They will remember the good things and to be honest with you....just about everyone parent I know yells at their kids. I certainly remember getting yelled at as a kid, but it isn't what I remember the most. :)
That salsa recipe looks good!
Don't you think every mom worries that that is all her kids will remember? I'm pretty sure it's universal.
I sometimes wish I could have a perm (when I had longer hair, of course), but I never dared because I couldn't be 100% certain that it would fall in just the right way.
Yay Jazz!!!
Sometimes I think all my 5-year-old will remember is yelling. I hope she also remembers singing, dancing and cuddling too.
Post a Comment