Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Some Book Reviews

I’ve having blogging block so I’m sharing some book reviews with you.  [Stars are out of 5]  These are all books I’ve read this year, among others:

Sarah’s Quilt: A Novel of Sarah Agnes Prine and the Arizona Territories, 1906 by Nancy E. Turner **** – This book is the sequel to These Is My Words, which I absolutely loved.  I didn’t like this one as much as the first…I didn’t feel like Sarah lived up to the Sarah in the first book.  I also read The Star Garden**** which, I believe, is the final book of the series.  I enjoyed it a little better than Sarah’s Quilt, but not as much as These Is My Words.  Overall, I think if you enjoyed the first (and really, who didn’t?) you’ll enjoy the sequels.

Fablehaven by Brandon Mull **  This is a fantasy type book that compares itself with Harry Potter (which I haven’t read).  I have a hard time with fantasy, I just can’t wrap my brain about it.  Especially the brain altering “milk” in this story.  I did find that I was interested to find out what happened next, so I finished it although I don’t imagine that I will read the rest of the series.  Not that it’s bad, just not my type of book.

The Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney ***  We gave this book to my oldest for Christmas.  It is funny.  I don’t really think that my 7-year-old understood all the jokes, but he’s read it 4 or 5 times and anything that gets him reading is good.  Growing up my dad read most of the books that I read (and never made judgements) about them, so I’m hoping to follow that example.  I’d recommend this book to boys around the age of 8 or 10. Funny stuff.  We’re looking forward to the sequels.

Life, Love and the Pursuit of Free Throws by Janette Rallison ***  I’ve read several of Janette Rallison’s books.  They are very entertaining.  YA Fiction.  Similar to the Princess Diaries books by Meg Cabot.  I think that she does an excellent job of portraying high school students, and she gets you rooting for the popular girls in her stories.  I wouldn’t suggest reading them all in a row though…the characters are pretty similar from one book to the next.  However, I did just finish My Fair Godmother ***** which I loved.  It has been optioned, and it would make a great Disney movie.  As I read, I envisioned it on the big screen.  I hope it happens!  Others I’ve read are:  All’s Fair in Love, War and High School **** and Revenge of the Cheerleaders ****.

Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven Leavitt and Stephen J. Dubnar ***  One thing I am trying to do this year is read some books that I can learn something from.  This book was interesting, and I think that it answered some questions (like why do drug dealers live with their moms?), but I think that for most things in life (especially the parenting section) there is more to it than numbers.  It has given me a new perspective though and I’m thinking of things a little differently.

Right now I’m reading She Got Up Off the Couch by Haven Kimmel and Chains by Laurie Halse AndersonShe Got Up Off the Couch is the sequel to one of last year’s favorites, A Girl Named Zippy

What are you reading now?  Have you read anything lately that you loved?

2 comments:

Mindy said...

I admit I never gave any thought to drug dealers living with their moms, lol....but now I may just have to read that book to satisdy my curiosity.

Ginna said...

I really liked freakonomics, I thought it was super interesting. And I actually really liked the FableHaven series. It was fun like Harry Potter. And you really haven't read Harry Potter! I wish I hadn't yet so I could read them again! :)

Right now I'm reading a book called "crossing to safety" by Wallace Stegner. It's really good.