This week I took two of my kids with me to the Portland LDS temple and distribution center. We wandered the grounds of the temple, and admired the fountains, the flowers and the peaceful feeling there. My daughter and I talked about how someday she may choose to be married in this particular temple. We admired the angel Moroni on the top. My youngest son and I held hands while he admired the daffodils and decided that the big ones were the daddies, and the smaller ones were the mommies and the ones that hadn’t bloomed yet were the babies.
We had to drive about 40 minutes to get there. When we lived in Utah if we had driven forty minutes north we would have passed three temples. I really took for granted how close we were to the temples. I don’t know that I ever took the kids to the temple just to wander the grounds. It was a beautiful day, and we were able to talk and I was able share a bit of how important the temple is to me.
So, if you live by the temple, grab your kids and wander the grounds together. Admire the flowers, the building and the peaceful feeling.
8 comments:
Gorgeous pictures as always.
I love seeing "Holiness to the Lord" on temples. It creates an achy, happy feeling in my chest.
Love this post! Good pictures too. You are so talented!!
Love this post! Good pictures too. You are so talented!!
lovely lovely pictures! I love that temple, it's so beautiful and peaceful. You make me want to take Max up to Boston. I think I will once it warms up a bit.
I was married in the Portland Temple. The closest I've ever lived to a temple was when we lived in Portland. It was about 20-30 minutes away then.
Like Annette said --your pictures are gorgeous (as always!).
This is a great idea. I forget that we live so close to Temples sometimes. In fact, you have given me a great idea! Every day in the summer we try to have some kind of activity planned (Wed is craft day, Thurs is museum day, etc.), and now I'm thinking we need to add a Temple Day --walk around the grounds of a different Temple each week...
Thank you for giving me the idea!!
thanks for the beautiful pictures! i miss seeing this temple!
You take such beautiful pictures, Amanda.
Post a Comment