Wednesday, June 18, 2008

She's On Her Way

She has always adapted well. When she was born, she moved into foster care for a month. She loved her foster family. When she was adopted, she fit right in. Never did her adoptive family doubt that they have done the right thing. She loved to snuggle as a baby, and loved the attention of her mom and dad and her big brother.

As she got older she never hesitated to branch out. She was eager to go to nursery class at church at 18-months. She loved being left with the baby-sitters, or going on sleep-overs at Grandma’s house. When she was old enough to go on play-dates, she went, fearlessly, and never looked back. When she went to her Kindergarten Preview, and her mom told her that she needed to go with the woman in the blue shirt, there was no hesitation. Kids around her didn’t want to leave their moms and dads, but she went and tapped the woman in blue with a big smile on her face.

Her big brother had been riding his bike with out training wheels for awhile. After months of watching him zip around the street and off the curb, she went and asked her mom to take her training wheels off. Her mom complied with this simple request. She was maybe a teeny tiny bit nervous but she didn’t show it.

For a couple of minutes her mom held the handle and walked with her. Then her mom just put her hand on the her back to guide her. It wasn’t long until she realized that she didn’t need her mom’s hand anymore. And she was off.

Minutes later, she asked, "Can I go around the block?"

Her mom smiled and her eagerness to get out and own her way, but said, "Not right now." She was okay with that, for now. She rides in circles on the cul-de-sac and up and down the street pedaling as hard as she can, and imagining all the wonders of a 5-year-old world.

This post has been entered in Scibbit's June Write-Away Contest.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved that post!

It's my first time here and I love your blog. I wanted to just hang out for a while, but I can't do that since my kiddlets are not in bed.

I wanted to invite you to link your Keeping it Real post to my blog fest I'm hosting tomorrow. Marfa was the inspiration behind it all! (and she got tagged following links that ended up here) Come play; it'll be fun!

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

Sweet post! They grow up so fast.

Sam and Fam said...

Oh my gosh! I'm lovin her hair! She's BIG!! What the heck?!? She's big! I love that kid!

Scribbit said...

She ought to come play with Lillian, they'd get along well for sure!

Bridget said...

That's really cute. Good for her for picking up that skill so quickly.

Darilyn said...

I love this post. So well written. I can just picture the joy on her face.

Marchezt said...

This post is so sweet! I can still remember when you all came to Vegas and she was just a baby! This is so cute!

Cecily R said...

What a great post!! She is adorable!

It totally makes me smile that you and I took similar directions with Scribbit's theme this month!! Good luck! :)

Ginna said...

oh how adorable! what a brave strong girl. i'm very impressed! :)

Ice Cream said...

Your daughter sounds like a very brave girl. One of those souls who is born ready to take on the world. =)

Mindy said...

Aww...good for her!!