Monday, May 17, 2010

Mom’s Sloppy Joes

We all have recipes that our families love.  This is one of mine, so I thought I’d share.  It’s my mom’s recipe and the whole family loves it.  We don’t usually have left-overs.  Normally, I serve it on hamburger buns, but my sister gave us some Orowheat Sandwich Thins so Bryan and I have used those for our sloppy joes lately.

05 12 10_0171

Ingredients:

  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 can chicken gumbo
  • 1 can tomato sauce
  • 1/3 cup ketchup
  • 2 TBSP brown sugar
  • 1 TBSP mustard

Directions:

Brown ground beef and drain off the fat.  Add chicken gumbo, tomato sauce, ketchup, brown sugar and mustard. Cook, stirring often until thick on low-medium heat.  It takes about 20-25 minutes.  Serve on hamburger buns. Makes 6-8, depending on how full you stuff ‘em.

6 comments:

Darilyn said...

What an interesting recipe. I bet I would really like these because, #1 - I love sloppy Joes. #2 - Chicken Gumbo is my all-time favorite soup.

Thanks for the recipe. We had sloppy joes last week and I hadn't made them in forever. They tasted so good although I just used the Del Monte canned stuff. So yours will be so much better.

Unknown said...

It looks really tasty!

Tonya said...

I love a good sloppy joe recipe 'cause the canned stuff makes me gag! So, thanx for sharing:)

As Sistas In Zion said...

Those look delicious! Never tried the sandwhich thins before, are they tasty? Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Michelle said...

Sound and looks yummy! I'm not sure I have ever heard of canned chicken gumbo. Is it just a can of "soup"?

jendoop said...

I have this recipe and we love it!