Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The End of Pre-K

My youngest child is done with preschool.

05 22 10_0245

In the fall, he will start kindergarten.

There is no graduation for us though.  Because of some problems, we decided to pull him out of preschool a few weeks early. I’ve been teaching him at home.  I never realized how much I needed those two hours alone.  He’s with me always now.  I don’t think I’ve even been to the bathroom with out hearing, “Mom…..Mom….MO-mm….MOM….mom…Mom.” 

I really don’t know how mom’s that do home-school do it.  I have a hard time trying to come up with lessons and I’m teaching preschool!

We’ve been learning nursery rhymes (he has memorized Humpty Dumpty and Hey, Diddle-Diddle; we’re working on Little Miss Muffet), our phone number, he’s reading to me and I’m reading to him.  We’re practicing letters, and we’re counting.

It’s hard for me to believe that I’ve had my last baby in preschool.  My last baby will start kindergarten and leave me every weekday for nine months of the year.  I’ll be alone for 14 hours a week come September.  (Honestly, I’m a little worried about that, but that’s a whole other post.) 

He’s ready for school. He’s eager to be where his big brother and big sister spend their days.  I’m just not sure that I’m ready!

05 22 10_0243

9 comments:

amber_mtmc said...

Shoot. Watching our babies grow up is really awesome and really hard. Seriously, though, what are you going to do with all that free time??

Kelly said...

Give it a week and you'll realize just how ready you were. 14 hours a week sounds like a long time, it so is not. As soon as you get them out the door, they are right back again. But it is still a beautiful 14 hours!

People always ask what I do when my kids are gone, I tell them the same thing I did at home, except I do it more productively and actually get to finish something I start...sometimes!

Lucy said...

He is too cute! We're sad to not be teaching him anymore! Great pictures!

Tonya said...

Wow, our babies are the exact same age. I will be in the exact same boat as you in the Fall. It is so weird that my kids are growing up and it's really weird that I'm getting old. I just did an emotional post about this same topic not long ago. I think a lot of us Mom's are feeling the same way.

troutdalite said...

Just spending time with him is the very best "home school" in my opinion. All the other stuff is bonus. You are such a great mom; following his lead on what he's interested in is the best curriculum of all. Love your new banner--it reminds me of how I love those warm summer days!

troutdalite said...

p.s. My guys are not supposed to bug me if I'm in the bathroom. I would tell them only if there was a major emergency like a fire or tons of blood. So when they'd call for me, my response was "do we need to call 911?" (we'd discussed it outside the bathroom prior!) for anything else they had to wait patiently. We never did call In 911 in all these years and somehow they survived the closed bathroom door ; )

Susie said...

Kindergarten is such a bittersweet time. You get a few hours of much needed quiet time and freedom, yet your baby is growing up and starting to leave you. Don't worry, you'll get used to those few hours very quickly!

btw, I LOVE those pretty flowers in your header

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

The new header is GORGEOUS!

And trust me, your responsibilities will stretch to fill the extra time. :)

Michelle said...

Such great shots. Love the crinkly nose one....I'm sure it really shows his personality.

Going off to K seems like such a huge step. Enjoy this time because let me tell you, it goes by in the blink of a eye.