Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Punchbowl Falls

Last week, we went hiking.  We included the five of us, my sister and her son, my brother and my mom and dad.  According the website, the hike was “easy”.  Overall, I’d agree with that assessment but there was parts of the trail that were narrow and dropped off at the edges.  If someone slipped, it could have spelled disaster.  The hike is 4.2 miles roundtrip.  We walked past several waterfalls to get to our destination: Punchbowl Falls.  We actually went to Lower Punchbowl Falls and ate lunch.  My youngest was carrying this huge hiking stick.  Luckily, I was able to convince him that it was kind of heavy for the whole hike, and he put it down.

Tony

DSC_0093DSC_0107 DSC_0108 DSC_0110 DSC_0128

When we got the lower falls, we saw that there was two men in kayaks.  We got to see them go over the falls.  It was so very cool and everyone was impressed.  It was a little nerve-wracking when the one pictured above broke his oar before going over.  Then when he flipped upside down and had a hard time righting himself, it was a little scary.  But it was amazing to see. 

To get that bottom picture, I had to go out in the middle of the icy river….you can’t get to the falls….you continue up the trail and end above it, but this was by far the best view of it.  Totally worth the cold feet and wet shoes on the way down. 

It wasn’t long ago when my kids weren’t much of hikers.  Short hikes would involve a lot of complaining, and dragging and carrying of children.  Not so much anymore. Hiking is actually fun with them again.  Luckily, we live in an area with a lot of hikes that aren’t far away. 

7 comments:

Julie said...

Your photos are great! I love seeing pictures of the adventures you take. You are so lucky to live there and I love how you're really taking advantage of all the beauty. Makes me want to come visit. :)

Christie said...

Those pics are fantastic! Looks like a beautiful spot.

jendoop said...

I hadn't checked on you in a while because of your blog break. So much going on in your house! The pics are beautiful, it makes me want to go for a hike.

Darilyn said...

I need to take my kids hiking more. There are so many beautiful places to go. Thanks for the review.

Michelle said...

Looks like a beautiful place to hike and apparently throw yourself off the falls in a kayak!!

FluffyChicky said...

Wow. Those are awesome pics! Clearly I need to spend more time exploring Oregon.

Samara Link said...

You live in a beautiful part of the world. It's cool that you get out and take advantage of it as a family. Great photos!!