Friday night was the Cub Scout Blue & Gold banquet for my oldest son and he had to take a cake. We tried to make this cake, and we did okay. Then for his birthday celebration Sunday, he wanted a new cake. But still chocolate.
So, I made my mom’s Texas Sheet Cake instead. SO GOOD. And even better on day 2.
Here’s the recipe:
Combine 2 cups flour and 2 cups sugar in a bowl.
In a saucepan combine 1 cup margarine or butter; 1 cup water and 1/4 cup cocoa powder and bring to a boil. Then pour this mix over the flour and sugar and mix. Add 1/2 cup buttermilk; 1 tsp baking soda; 2 eggs, beaten; 1 tsp vanilla.
Pour into a greased cookie sheet and bake at 375 for 20 minutes
While the cake bakes, combine 1/2 cup margarine or butter; 5-6 TBSP cream (or milk); and 1/4 cup cocoa in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cool slightly. Add 1 tsp vanilla and 1 pound (about 3 1/4 cups) powdered sugar.
Pour onto warm cake and spread.
*You could add chopped walnuts. We’re not really nut people so I didn’t, but it’s supposedly, very good.
3 comments:
Got leftovers? ;)
Mmmm...I know what I am making this weekend! Yum-o!
So wait, you're saying I can make a cake without a MIX? Amazing!
Post a Comment