Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Way We Clean

I have gone through several chore charts in the last couple years.  Some work for a few weeks, some don’t work at all and some work until we get knocked out of routine with visitors or vacation.  Then after Denae posted about the way they clean at her house, I came up with a new chore chart (based on hers) and it works.  We were even interrupted and it still worked when we came back to it. 

 office_cleaning_service

Basically each of us (myself, my oldest, my daughter and my youngest) have a column on a master sheet.  Each day we have chores assigned to us and when it is done, it gets highlighted.  At the end of the week, the kids get paid ten cents for each highlighted mark.  Most days my older kids can earn fifty cents.  They don’t get paid for chores on Sunday. 

When I started the chart, the kids needed help remembering to brush teeth each day so that was one of their chores.  As we’ve gotten in the habit of that, we are now working on washing faces daily so that is on the list.  Everyday they also have to read for 20 minutes, and the big kids have to do homework.  My youngest is only four so he can’t do as many chores, and he doesn’t “need” the money so he has a chore or two less each day. 

The things on my list daily are cleaning the kitchen, working out and scripture study.  I’m not perfect about doing these daily, but I am getting better.  On Mondays my list looks like this: Laundry, Run Dishwasher, and Vacuum Dining/Front Room.  Run the dishwasher is on the list because it is my daughter’s chore to unload the dishwasher and in order for her to do that, I need to have run it.  It helps me remember.  I have more on Monday than other days because I know myself: I start out strong and get lazy as the week progresses.

On Tuesdays, I am supposed to clean the master bathroom, run errands, Vacuum, and empty the trashes.  Wednesday means vacuuming again, sweeping the entry way and hall.  Thursdays are mopping days and running the dishwasher because my youngest has to unload it.  Fridays I clean the kid’s bathrooms, vacuum the whole downstairs and run the dishwasher so my oldest son can unload.  Saturdays are spent upstairs – cleaning bedrooms, vacuuming, and changing sheets.  On Sunday, I take it easy and my list has write thank you notes and write in journal.

My oldest (8) and my daughter (6) have chores like cleaning the guest bathroom (I put Comet in the sink and the toilet bowl cleaner in and they clean), vacuuming the TV room and the stairs, bringing in a trash can each week.  All three kids unload the dishwasher (I put away what they can’t reach to put away), dusting, setting/clearing the dinner table and bedroom cleaning 2 times a week.

I print the chore chart every three weeks.  I print out three copies so that I can rotate chores and make changes where needed.  My kids know that if they do all their chores they have the potential to make a few dollars each week.  Most weeks they make between a dollar or two.  I am not as strict about the chores getting done as I should be, perhaps.  I keep track of what they have earned and pay about once a month or so. 

This is working for us.  What do you do to keep the house under control?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a great working plan for all. We've gone through many over the years. We kept having to change it up, as the novelty would wear off after a bit. I keep tweaking my own plan, as procrastination becomes a part of it. One idea that gets us (me too) going on the least favorite things is the 15 min. starter from flylady.com. Good luck!