Over the summer we spent a couple days with some friends of ours. The mother (my friend) is amazing. She is the primary president in her ward, she was the PTA president last year, she runs a salon out of her house two days a week, she is the mother of four kids and her house is always clean, warm and welcoming. She would tell you that she isn’t organized and that her house isn’t always clean, but it is. She runs a tight ship – her kids did their chores both days with minimal eye rolling and the laundry was always done.
I was in awe of this – laundry always done? How? At my house there is almost always clothes that need to be washed. Come the end of a week, there are four over-flowing laundry hampers.
This is how she did it:
- Monday morning she would do two loads of laundry – one light and one dark of clothes from the weekend.
- Tuesday morning she would walk through the house and gather all the used towels and do one load of towels.
- Wednesday morning she would again do two loads of laundry – one dark and one light from clothes worn on Monday and Tuesday.
- Thursday morning she would strip the beds and wash all the sheets.
- Friday morning she would do two loads of laundry, from the clothes for Wednesday and Thursday.
I came home determined to do this. This was going to revolutionize laundry at the D home. I would start a load of laundry first thing, instead of spending all day one day a week doing laundry.
Yeah.
I didn’t even make it a week. Day 1, I started a load of weekend clothes and promptly forgot about the clothes in the washer so when I went to start a load on day 2 they were still sitting there. Day 3, I didn’t feel like folding clothes so they stayed in the basket waiting for clothes from day 4 to join them. They never joined them.
Then I had an epiphany: “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” I swear someone said that, although I don’t know who. I don’t normally use the word “ain’t” but it fits in that saying.
Before I tried to change this, I would gather all the dirty laundry in the house on Monday morning. My youngest son and I sort them – darks, lights, sheets, towels – and I spend the whole day washing, drying, folding and putting away.
After my week experience, I realized, this works for me. It works! I don’t mind spending all day washing, drying, folding and putting away. It all gets done this way. Sometimes it takes me a day or two to get all the clothes put away…eh, who am I kidding, most of the time it takes me a day or two to get the clothes put away ~ that is the worst part of doing laundry! The point is, though, that this works for me. It wouldn’t work for my friend, but it works for me. And her way works for her. And it’s okay! We both have families sleeping on clean sheets, wearing clean clothes and drying hands on clean towels.
Do you ever do this – try to fix something that ain’t broke? How do you handle laundry at your house?
8 comments:
I tend to do laundry on the "we're out of clean X" or the "the hamper is about to avalanche" plan (sigh). It's a two-adult household. I also really hate the fold and put away stage, so stuff tends to be getting fished out of baskets a lot. DH doesn't mind, as long as he can find the item he needs and it's clean.
I have my own method too--and it works pretty well for me. Towels and sheets find their way into the mix as needed, because there's rarely a time when there's a crisis and I can't squeeze them in. Except for when I'm on deadline with a chocolate cookbook and all laundry goes out the window for a week or so and no one has any underwear or clothes for school. Not that that happened recently or anything . . .
I blogged about my system here:
http://blog.annettelyon.com/2008/10/one-chore-im-good-at.html
I am the do a few loads every day person. I tried the do it all in one day method and I can't handle doing that much laundry at once. My system is similar to your friends. I do sheets and other misc items (like rugs or something) on Mondays, kids clothes on Tuesdays, clothes that get washed in cold water on Wednesday etc etc. Most days I only have to do one load and I like it that way. :-)
I tried the do-a-few-loads-every-day thing too for a couple of weeks and it just got me all messed up for weeks after that. I have to do it all in one day. It works so much better for me too. And it's never on the same day of the week every week. Sometimes it's Monday, sometimes it's Thursday. And sometimes it's 8 loads in one day! I have to stay on top of it though. If I let the laundry sit in the washer then I can't do as many loads in the day that I'm doing it. I usually fold most of it letting the kids help with some of it and then I let the older 3 of my kids put their own laundry away. Sometimes it just gets shoved in their drawers but hey, it's in their drawers right?! I'm glad to know someone else does all their laundry in one day too. Love it!
My bedroom is laundry central. The only hamper in the entire house is located just outside my bathroom door. When that hamper turns into a pile of Mt. Everestian proportions, then I divide it by color (and weight--jeans and towels are always separate loads) and conquer. I think trying to have an actual schedule would be a sure fire way of me never doing the laundry. That's just how I roll (or don't roll with the schedules).
There's a method to my madness. Like you said, someone else's method may look prettier (more organized, more "right"), but that doesn't mean it's better. At least not better for me.
Sigh. Laundry: the neverending battle. I designated laundry day is Monday but I do 1-2 loads during the week to help spread it out. It's definitely one of my least favorite chores!
I'm the do it mostly on Monday person (as early as I can get it going)...so I won't procrastinate. (4 loads, one each of cold/warm with lights/darks) Wednesday I do towels/sheets (occasionally rugs, curtains, quilts, etc.). When my guys were 12 they got the 'gift' of doing their own laundry. So Tues, Thurs, Fri they picked a day...6-7 years of practice before college/missions!
Hi! One day a week I do either g's, son #1's clothes, son #2's clothes, a load of towels or a load of sheets. My daughter and husband wash their own clothes. So bascially, I do a load of laundry a day (I wash mine once every two weeks but if I need something specific right away, I add it to one of the other loads.) I hate hate hate putting it all away but one load a day is far from overwhelming. My kids all have just about one week worth of clothing (ratty old play clothes are extra) so it's not a huge amount of clothes, either.
Post a Comment