image from here
The first book club I ever went to was online. It was with my extended family on our family website. The first book I chose for the discussion was a recommendation from my mother-in-law, The Diary of Mattie Spencer by Sandra Dallas. Reading that book led me to reading all of her other books, and I have loved all of them. We read The Red Tent by Anita Diamant. We read The Life of Pi by Yann Martel, which is one I skipped.
It wasn’t long until the men of the family website wanted to be involved. We let them in, and it changed. We did a few more books, and then the book club fizzled out. I guess the discussion, as well as the selections, change when you are trying to include both male and female. It wasn’t the same once the men joined in. It wasn’t bad, just different.
When I moved to Oregon, the Relief Society (women’s group at church) was having their book group. They were reading Alice’s Tulips by Sandra Dallas. I had read that one so I went to the discussion, even though it had been awhile since I read it and I didn’t remember much and therefore didn’t have anything to add to the discussion.
Since then, I’ve been at most of the meetings (we meet every other month). We’ve read a variety of books: Hondo and Last of the Breed by Louis L’Amour, Island of Saints by Andy Andrews, These is My Words by Nancy E. Turner, A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmell, Princess Academy by Shannon Hale, as well as so many others. We had a night where we brought our favorite kid’s books to share. We did a similar night at Christmas last year, where we brought our favorite Christmas stories.
I am usually the youngest at the meetings. I’m always surprised that there aren’t more people my age. Of the usual ladies that come, one is a great-grandmother, one is a grandmother, one is the mother of a married child (and a 2 year old), and one has a four daughters ranging from 5-15.
I always worry that since there are so few of us that come, that one of these days someone is going to say, “Let’s not do this anymore.” or “There’s no point – there are only 3 of us here!” Luckily no one has yet.
After an evening of discussing books though, I feel so rejuvenated. I have a new list of books to check out. I get the chance to read books I wouldn’t have picked up otherwise. And I think, this is working for me. I am getting so much from this. We can’t quit, because one woman is benefitting greatly from involvement with these women. That woman is me. I enjoy it. It’s good for my soul, my heart and my mind.
Much like that first one attended, I still don’t add much to the conversation. I don’t notice a lot of the little things that other people do…it’s been too long since I sat in an English class and had to pick out the theme, and symbolism. But, I get to go and listen to what the other women have to say. I get to hear their thoughts and insights. And, this I know: It is so good for me.
6 comments:
I bet one of the women from your group is somewhere writing a blog right now about the goodness of her small book group and the quiet but thoughtful mother who mostly listens, but when she does speak it is very profound.
I love idea of the small group, and the varied attendees. I bet you get a lot more discussion out of the event and less tangents. I think you've found a gem!
Great post Amanda. I have similar feelings about my book group.
I love the book group too. I also feared others would want to just bag it. I don't know why others don't come. I wish I listened more like you. You are very insightful.
Thanks for your book suggestions. I'm just finishing The Help (it's really good) and I'll be checking some of these out.
Tell it like it is, Amanda. The family book club went bad when the men joined in. Not only do they not like the same kinds of books as the women, they don't like the same kinds of books as the other men. Book clubs need to be small enough to like the same kinds of things.
Amanda- I hope you don't mind that I found your blog. I've been thinking about coming to the ward book club, and I think I'll start now. I've read so many of the books you have read and love-- we like a lot of the same things. Does the book club meet every month?
Post a Comment