Next the fridge in our house we have a little counter that we have the phone. There is also a basket for keys and receipts, a can for the D Family Vacation Fund, my planner and notebook, a can of pens and pencils and the computer.
Before I started keeping the computer here the counter was constantly covered in stuff. The two drawers below the counter top were over flowing with office supplies, coupons, phone books, etc. It was enough to make this mama crazy.
So I bought an over-the-door shoe organizer and turned the mess into this:
Now everything has a place. We always know where the tape or calculator is (assuming it got put away when we were done with it, anyway). The kids can reach the stuff they need – the markers, crayons and paper. They can also reach the stuff they don’t care about – the foam paint brushes (that I can’t resist buying when Michael’s puts them on sale for 20 for a $1 – even though I have a million all ready) and unfortunately, the ABC activity boards. They can’t reach the stuff that they shouldn’t have – the sharpies, the box cutter or the glue. And that pocket that’s not labeled? It has some strange math tool in it that I don’t know what is. Hmm.
This hangs over the door to the closet under the stairs which is on the other side of the counter with the computer. Now if I could just get those pizza coupons under control, I’d be good.
What is your favorite organizing trick?
7 comments:
Sweet! I love me an over the door shoe holder. Bows in the bathroom, hats, gloves, sunscreens and insect repellant in the entry.
But this office supply one has sparked a solution I have been searching for for ages! Thank you! This is why people need to blog, so great ideas can save my life!
You are SO SMART. Genius, actually.
You are SO SMART. Genius, actually.
Oh how my little OCD heart is a fluttering. LOVE that idea. Love it.
Great idea Amanda.
That is a wonderful idea!
The only orgaizing idea I had is for the kids toys...they are separated into clear buckets (with lids) by toy type. That way the Barbies don't get mixed in with the Legos and the Magetix don't end up in the Polly Pockets. And the kids don't spend time opening containers looking for certain things. I also allow only one container of toys per child out at a time.
Great minds think alike! ;)
Post a Comment