Thursday, July 2, 2009

Kite Festival

I’ve always loved kites.  I’ve also always wanted to go to one of the kite festivals on the beach here in Oregon.  Bryan is not a fan of crowds, though, so we’ve never been.  Last Saturday when we were camping, we were out on the lake and I could tell that there were a lot of kites so we got ready and headed to the beach for the afternoon.  When we pulled up to the parking lot, we noticed that it was full, there was a ton of people and a ton of kites.  It could only mean one thing: Kite Festival! 

I was so excited.

Bryan wasn’t as excited.  We had to drive around awhile to find a spot to park, and then we walked over.  My oldest was disappointed because he was sure that so many kites meant that I would watch kites more than him.  I admit that I did watch a lot of kites, but I watched him play too. 

Here are some pictures:

DSCN0210

The view of the beach when we arrived.  Lots of people, lots of kites.  At one point I counted 50+ kites in the sky.  It was like heaven for me!

DSCN0218

The guy that flew these three kites was very talented.  One man flew all three of these stunt kites.  He controlled one in each hand and one was attached to his hips.  When he would swivel his hips the kite would dip and dive.  I was so impressed.

DSCN0249

These whales were my kid’s favorites. They are absolutely huge.  Bryan and I watched some of them being taken down, and it took huge teams of people to get them up and down.  Pretty impressive.

DSCN0242

These guys were the most impressive.  There are four of them flying stunt kites with four strings.  The kites were synchronized and moved along to the beat of the music playing.  It was so impressive to watch. 

Johnny 4 (3) Johnny 4 (4)

This blue and black one spun around and was the bottom of a three piece kite.  We watched this get put up the day before and were amazed at how many people it took to get it airborne.  The next day, with all the whales and bears, it didn’t seem so big.

DSCN0252

I’m so glad that we got the chance to see the kite festival!  The bad thing was that we forgot our kites.  Our Nemo kite, our stunt kite and our regular kite were all at home.  Next time, we’ll make sure we have them with us!

4 comments:

FluffyChicky said...

Those are some awesome kites!

It sounds like you had a great time...even if you had to deal with crowds. :)

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

Ok. Way cool! My boys would love something like that.

Amber said...

Those kites are AMAZING! We bought stunt kites a few years ago and almost killed our daughter trying to figure out how to use them. Need to start with the unthreatening, easy ones first. :-)

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

How cool! And I love your new header. :)