- Buy a piece of canvas. The piece I bought is two yards.
- Hem the edges, so it doesn’t fray.
- Grab a pencil and draw streets, houses, a hospital, an airport, a park, a school, a police station + jail and any other buildings you want. I included the "Y" mountain, and some local stores - we lived in Springville at the time so I included Allen’s, the local grocery store; La Casita, a local Mexican restaurant; a local book store, a pizza place, an art museum, and where Bryan worked at the time: K-TEC. My kids wish that I would have included a gas station, and a church.
- Color the buildings. I think my mom used paint to do hers. I took the easy way out and bought some fabric markers from Wal-Mart.
The great things about this are that in our house, it provides endless hours of entertainment. All three of my kids use it all the time. It folds up, so it can be put away easily. We fold it and put it on top of the cars in their box. And finally, it is probably the most loved toy in the house and I will keep it and let my grand-kids play with it someday.
Have you made any toys for your kids? What are the most loved toys in your house?
15 comments:
Too cute. I haven't made any toys for my kids, but my picture is (well, was at one time) on the wall in La Casita. I have really short hair, I'm wearing a yellowish shirt and standing with 3 guys.
Do they still have pictures on the walls?
Last time I was there they did. I wouldn't mind a big plate of cheese enchiladas right now. :)
oh, how adorable! I love that idea, I'm going to have to do it someday. I can't draw that well though, your drawings look so cute!
This is now on my to do list for Christmas. We're trying to do a home made Christmas and I'm finding that it's more expensive and obviously time consuming. Oh why did I think this up? But this is perfect! Thank you. We're also making a marble machine and a doll house for our girls this year.
Do you have any ideas for home made adult presents?
Ginna - that is the great thing! You don't have to draw well. Kids don't care if the bush is a cloud that is colored green. The houses are just squares with a triangle on top.
And Janelle, I am a scrapbooker so when I think homemade gift, I think scrapbooks. You could make tablerunners, or rag quilts or something though. Good luck!
I drew a map of our hang outs in Provo when my oldest was about 5. It included all the places he knew (like "This is where Aunt Kirsten ran out of gas," etc.)
It wasn't big enough to include La Casita, though we frequented that place. Mmm!
We had one of these growing up too. I remember playing countless hours with my little brother. I had never thought of making my own. Maybe I should practice drawing and get with it. Thanks for sharing the idea. PG will be 3 soon and I think he would love to have a big city to play with. SF will be ready to play with him soon enough too.
I love this...I have to say that the K-Tec building is my fav...one of my favorite places!
That is so cute. Major creativity points for you.
This is a great idea! I've been pricing those road rugs made for kids and they are super expensive. I may just add this to my list of winter craft projects.
I love this! And I love that you included places in your community. We bought a little rug with streets etc on it for my son and now I am wishing I had made this instead!
That is the cutest idea ever! I am totally jealous of your artistic skills.
The only toys I've made were a couple of sock monkeys. I made a diaper bag once too. Go me. :)
Just found your blog from Tip Junkie and I LOVE this idea! I will be telling everyone about it. Can I post it on my blog if I put a link to yours?
I also linked from Tip Junkie....I made one of these several years back and it is still a daily ritual to pull it out with the cars. (although I think yours is cuter) I love the park!!
I love your idea...
I will make a these with the children. Thanks!!
Post a Comment