So, about a year ago I set some goals for myself. I was turning 30, so I made 30 goals.
First, the ones I didn’t do:
Lose 25 pounds – So didn’t happen. I like to eat too much, I guess. I am moving more and exercising regularly so I’m okay with this. Corn row hair – Every time that it was time to do her hair, I would think, “oh, I’ll corn row it next time.” And here we are a year later, and I didn’t do it. See Mt. St. Helens – We never got there. We planned it a couple times and each time we would wake up to clouds and rains and I’ve been told you should only go when it’s clear. Crater Lake – It’s a drive (5+ hours) so we never made it. Probably not this summer either. Hopefully in 2011. Attend the temple 12 times – Once a month. It doesn’t seem like it should be that hard. I guess I didn’t put enough effort forth, because I only got inside to do a session twice. I took the kids a couple times and we walked the grounds. I could be disappointed with myself on this, but the way I look at it, there will be a season in my life when it is easier to get there and spend the time. And I can’t wait! Paint Doors and Shutters Black – It’s in the plans. But it hasn’t happened yet. Make my kids Christmas Pajamas – Whoops. I can’t follow a pattern to save my life and when I was with people that can, that wasn’t what I wanted to do. (And with after Thanksgiving sales, pajamas are so cheap!) Paint the Master Bedroom – Too lazy for this one, I guess. Learn to Hand Quilt – I still want too.
Things I did half way:
Write my daughter’s birth-mother a letter – I did this one. I wrote it. But I didn’t mail it. Writing it was enough for me. It got my thoughts and feelings out. And, perhaps someday she will read it (along with other letters that I have written). Read Psalms – I’m 2/3 the way through. I am enjoying it and savoring the words. Read the Ensign each month – I read 9/12 (and I’m still working on May). Send hand written cards and letters – Thank you cards after Christmas were sent and I sent a couple letters last week. I’d like to make this more of a regular thing though.
Things I did do:
Submit an essay to Segullah – I did this. It wasn’t accepted. And that’s okay. I also submitted to Desert Saints Magazine – you can read my articles here and here. Submit to Mormon Women – I did this. I had several essays “published” there. In fact, I am the admin on the Facebook page, and I monitor the Twitter account. (I also watermark pictures). And write when I feel inspired. Invite people to dinner – I had hoped to invite more couples over as a way to get to know more people and make more friends. We had my brother over a few times, my sister and her family over, the missionaries and another cute family over too. Try New Recipes – I did this. I tried some great ones too. Read Harry Potter #1 – I did this. It was good. I’m not in a big rush to read the rest, but I’ll probably read #2 eventually. Get New Family Pictures – Done! Join a volleyball league – I played in one for two seasons. It was so much fun. Get Highlights – They were subtle but they were there. Now that it’s summer again, I’m thinking I need more! Enter some Photo Contests – I entered a few. Didn’t win any, but that’s okay. Volunteer in the Classroom & Join the Parent Group – Done and done, and planning for next year all ready. Use Scrapbook Supplies – A friend pushed me into doing this. So I did, and then she moved. So I haven’t in a while, but I have plans too. Take Portraits of Kids – I got a couple good ones, and our friend that did our family pictures got a couple good ones. Grow Some of Our Own Food – Last year we did strawberries and tomatoes. The tomatoes failed. This year we have planted cabbage, strawberries and tomatoes. Camp on the Oregon Coast – We did this last July. It was fun. And an adventure! Finish the Portland to Coast Relay – Done! And doing it again this year.
* * *
The last thing on my list was Enjoy Being Me – I’m pleased to say, that overall, I am. I have days when I’m disappointed with myself (for losing my temper, lack of self control or whatever) but I’m happy. I’ve got a wonderful husband and good kids. We live in a beautiful place. The kitchen is stocked. We have good friends. I’m blessed.
6 comments:
See, now I'm just impressed that you wrote all of those things down! And you've accomplished so much.
You rock, you know. And Happy (late) Birthday!!
You are an amazing person and I love your outlook on life. I always learn so much from you. I had my favorite cake today too. Mine wasn't too sweet though, just right.
Lots of things have become too sweet for me the last little while. It's sad, but probably for the best.
You really accomplished a lot! I know if I set 30 goals I would fail too many of them to feel any sort of satisfaction. You did it and you accomplished so many of them!!!!
SO fun to read through your goals and accomplishments. I love best your attitude, and that you enjoy being you. Maybe someday I'll make a list like that, but I'm older so it would have to be longer...scary!! I'm still up for the #s on the card : )
You're awesome!
And I like your last paragraph, I could have written it too :)
Way to go! Your list of things you GOT done is admirable--and likely wouldn't have been done if you hadn't made the goals to begin with.
(Love the pic of the kids.)
Post a Comment