I’ve been thinking for a few weeks now what "going home" really means to me. It wasn’t long ago that we moved from ‘home.’ We moved in August 2007, and we looked at it as an adventure. Utah had been my home for all of my life. I grew up in Provo, and we lived in the same house for 15 years. When I was 15, I thought that my life was over because we were moving. We moved six blocks north of where I grew up to the house that, 14 years later, my parents still live in. When I graduated college I moved an hour and a half north to the town of Ogden for a year of school at Weber State University. I lived in the dorms for most of the year, and then stayed in an apartment with a friend for a couple of months. I loved Ogden. I felt very safe there, and I thought that it was a cute, quaint little town. After one year of classes, I realized that college wasn’t for me. Not then anyway. I think I could go back now and do very well-funny how perspectives change. I moved back to my parents house until Bryan and I got married in September of 1999. We lived a couple of miles from my parents in Orem. After about seven months we bought a home in Springville where we lived for over six years.
Our neighborhood in Springville was ideal - we were close to the school, close to shopping and the freeway and church. Our neighbors were great, we had great friends there. And we were close to my parents (10 minutes away!), close to Bryan’s dad (20 minutes away) and close to Bryan’s mom (45 minutes away.)
We realized early in 2007 though that we were needing to make our home elsewhere. A new job opportunity presented itself, and we felt like we were to jump on it. We sold our house, and made the 800+ mile move in August.
I have had a hard time with the move. I still don’t have really good friends in the area, the kids are making friends but we have to drive to get to most of them. We love the church members and feel welcome in the ward (congregation) here. I even enjoy the weather. The rain doesn’t seem to get to me much here. I did really miss the snow this winter though. Truly, I enjoy Oregon, I just miss the people we left behind in Utah. My family, Bryan’s family and the good friends we made over the years.
A couple of weeks ago, I had the chance to go home. Bryan had a lot of work lined up, and it was spring break so the kids and I packed up the car and drove to Utah.
It was wonderful.
I spent the week taking pictures of home, and trying to soak it all in. I was able to see friends and family that I have missed dreadfully over the last several months. I was able to be inspired by my mother and my in-laws. My parents have a routine and it works for them, and it made me realize that I love the routine (most days!) that Bryan and I have made.
I came home from my week with my family and I realized that the way my mom goes about her day - getting up and starting laundry, making the bed, and cleaning up right after eating - make her day easier, and I have incorporated some of that in my life. I realized that my MIL has photos every where and they are wonderful. They aren’t all portraits so I have made a goal to get some snap-shots that I love printed so I can put them in frames around my house. I realized that my FIL and my father and both have an exceptional drive to provide for their families and such excellent work ethics, and it has made me appreciate all the hard work that Bryan does everyday even more.
Going home is a break from the daily routine. Going home is savoring the little moments with friends. Going home is eating Mexican food, playing Scrabble, taking walks and visiting. Going home is showing my kids where I came from. Going home is giving myself the strength to make it through the next months. I know I wont be able to stay away too long.
What about you? What does going home mean to you?
I have entered this in Scribbit's April Write-Away Contest - Going Home
12 comments:
Amanda there's no place like home. Our family don't have a great big house, it is old and full of termites everywhere. But I still love being home. Unlike you I have not moved so far, but will be moving this year. I hope I get used to being away from home soon. Home is where my heart is. Hope you can visit my blog at http:www.blogspot.com thanks!
Every time I go back to Provo it feels like home to me, not that we lived there growing up but having spent six years there during those BYU years and having a child born there every fall I feel this excitement and longing to be back there and buying books.
Like Dorothy says, "There is no place like home!" Wouldn't it be great if we could click our heels and go back to the place we call home.
I live in NC. My parents live in NC. My in-laws live in NC. Most of our brothers and sisters reside here too. I guess though we all live in different cities... we call NC home!
Thanks for visiting my blog today. I enjoyed your post.
I feel like you do! I love where we are but I really miss home. Mostly the people, but the places too.
BYU--every time I'm out there I feel like I need to go buy us a whole bunch of BYU shirts and stuff.
Burgers Supreme, Los Hermanos, the mountains, the canyon, my parents backyard with the river, the ward. Seeing good friends!
All those things are home. I feel lucky to have such a wonderful solid home feeling, you know?
And I like what you said about your mom's routine--I think that really helps. Especially those things that just have to be done in order for life to be pleasant.
Anyway, thanks for making me think about home. I always like to :)
Home is wherever I am with my husband and kids. I really feel that way. Since my mom died and my dad moved away and has remarried, I have lost the ideal of a childhood home with parents to go back to. It is very strange. Not one I can really blog about since my dad reads my blog, but I have lost that. I mourned that loss for a while and now I'm good. I really am just so, so glad I have a great husband and kids because they are where I want to be. Wherever that means we are living. That place is home to me.
That made me teary eyed because I'm still here at your home w/o you. And I remember making this home, it is hard blooming where we are planted. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Love it.
And it was so fun playing volleyball! We ALL miss you.
We have moved a lot over the years and there is no particular place that really feels like home to me. We recently moved across town here and I absolutely hate where we live now. Just 20 miles from our prior home, people are less friendly, crime is worse and I find I really want to move back to the part of town we left behind.
Home will always be Canada where I grew up. But home will also be Utah where I went to college and worked for a number of years. We returned last weekend and there is just such a wonderful feeling of belonging and yearning for that life!
There's no place like home...at least that's what I've heard. I guess I've never had that experience since I've lived close to my parents and most of my family all of my life. But when I was a flight attendant, I was soooo thankful to get back to America after I went overseas.
I loved this post!!
My family moved to Layton when I was ten. I've lived away from that childhood home longer than I lived there. How odd!
Home is where my family is. Sometimes (okay, most of the time) it's messy and loud, but it's home, wherever it is. :)
I have really missed you since you moved. It was great to see you here on your break. Love ya.
Post a Comment