After I posted about not doing the big things this summer that I had planned, Darilyn left a comment that struck me. It really made me think. She said:
“Hey, remember the name of your blog? The Little Things right? Don't worry about all the big adventures you didn't do. I bet there were some small ones in your very home that made an impact on those sweet children of yours.”
And, she’s right. It doesn’t matter so much that we didn’t do the big things that we wanted to do. They will get done, eventually. We did do some little things, and the little things are what make the memories.
We have played a lot of games. We have walked to Dairy Queen for ice cream. We have been to the library every week. We have been to the free summer movies. We have been to a few different parks. We’ve had play-dates with friends. We’ve stayed up late and watched Wipe Out together. We’ve become smoothie-making-machines. We went bowling once. We learned to ride bikes, and together went to Dairy Queen for Blizzards. We’ve done the slip ‘n’ slide. We grew strawberries in the backyard (it remains to be seen if the tomatoes will be successful). We’ve taken portraits. We’ve pretended to be cowboys. We’ve gone on family walks through the neighborhood. We’ve played with play-doh. We’ve slept in. We’ve had French toast for dinner. We went camping twice. We spent a weekend at the beach. We shopped for school supplies. We’ve stayed in pajamas for far too long. We’ve lounged on a blanket in the back yard with books.
And those are the things that will make all the difference.
What are the little things you’ve been doing this summer? How about the big things?
4 comments:
Really, truly beautiful.
I need to remember to stay in pajamas far too long. That's something my kids would love.
I'm thinking that those things sound pretty huge to me. What a great mom you are.
Watching Wipe Out with the whole family is the perfect evening!
I love your list of little things...those are the ones that get remembered. And Wipeout is the greatest!!!
Post a Comment